I have probably acquired a 3090

Unscrew backplate and if there are memory chips on top then it’s 3090. If there are not then it’s 3080. Maybe there are benchmarks that can try to fill 24 GB of VRAM?

you know they just about weared me down into pulling the trigger but yeah wait it out a little more might be the way to go

I just want to interject with a personal account.

I have as my main GPU an AMD R9 290* 4GB, nothing particularly special any more, and even a bit past the prime when I got it second hand. *reference 290 was roughly equal to nVidia’s 780, so 780 > 9xx > 1xxx > 2xxx > 3xxx, it is far behind modern.

My previous system was an AM3+ FX6100 @4GHz.
My current system is an AM4 3700X

GTA 5 (setting ommitted for berevity, they were equal on both systems) was getting around 45fps ish on the AM3+ system, but with large swings, like some areas would crash briefly to 20s and other places get to 50-60ish.
On the AM4 system it was 90+ all the time.

What I am poking at is my old AF GPU benefitted almost double performance by going to the not even highest end AM4 CPU at the time and now decidedly average higher end in the face of the 5000, 12th gen and no doubt even more so with AM5 coming too.

You are also likely limited to PCIe 2 speeds as only 1 or 2 boards had PCIe 3 on AM3+

The 3090 is wasted in that system.

To put it bluntly and probably a little rudely, the money for the 3090 would benefit you more than the 3090 is even able to right now.

1 Like

The concern of everyone here is that with the price-to-performance of new parts, it simply does not make any sense to run something like a 3090 in such an old system. Even this $600 “budget” system would not bottleneck a 3090, especially at higher resolutions.

2 Likes

I get it. I have a 1080p dvi-d monitor from early 2000s that just wont die. I cant upgrade it; it works mint for a 1080p 24in.

1 Like

I should add that if you build a new system for the 3090, you can still keep and use your old gaming rig for “vintage” gaming. I’ve had infinitely better luck running older games on Windows 7 than W10.

Bulldozer and Piledriver are very power inefficient with high idle consumption so they don’t make much sense as a NAS/media server unfortunately.

Take this advice from someone who ran an 8120(@4ghz) for 9 years and only recently saw the light themself.

Also reselling the 3090 for a profit isn’t likely to be possible with the current market trends. From all indications the gpu market is going to crash pretty soon and even faster if crypto does too.

1 Like

RTX 3090 with a AMD 8350

:thonk:

Strapped a Ferrari engine to a Volkswagen.

3 Likes

Right. Thats what I thought too.

It would have been way smarter to get a second hand ryzen system and a 3060

The irony here is the 8350 would bottleneck the 3090 so much that the ryzen setup would be faster with a lesser setup

I’m surprised it actually worked on a power supply that’s presumably also 10 years old.

I’m in awe

never thought I’d see something like this… a 3090 on a 8350… wow…

xenons are not AM3+

If you want advice:

sell the 3090

you’ll need to drop some serious cash to get it really going, and since you don’t game, if you don’t do 3d modelling or AI stuff you won’t be getting real benefits with the 3090

okay everyone who keeps stating the obvious, I suppose i should point something out here
yeahhhh
screenshot edited for privacy reasons but the other day I go oh what’s this looks pretty legit amongst the sea of obviously fake postings

pepeprs is no dummy I would not expect a 3090 to not be bottlenecked in this situation but ehh pretty good price. It would seem someone not too savvy had a 3090 saw the many many fake listings and wanted a quick sale so matched there buy it now price and now its mine.

I think if I were to bite at building a new system a R9 5900x would be the way to go you can get um for around $300 second hand the lesser performing processors not at the bottom of the barrel seem to be similarly priced and any better your looking at around $700 or more yeah… maybe wait for the 5800X3D to come down in price a little though and go for it I suspect you can get um at an okay price second hand a little after the new platforms come out they will go for quite low compared to what they are now.

My thoughts are Zen 4 is coming up very soon and the price on all am4 stuff will drop by a lot I would be quite happy with current gen and I’ll wait a bit before acquiring anything because its not practical right now

1 Like

Yeah pretty much like i said, he just needs a platform upgrade basically.
A RTX3090 is nice but also pretty pointless if you dont have to cpu to really feed it.

He would be better off with buying a less powerfull gpu,
and spend the additional money on a platform upgrade.

2 Likes

Which is separate from the two graphics sections, and the final data is presented as a graphics score, a CPU score and an overall score.

I don’t think someone who is still on a Bulldozer derivative cares how dead a “platform” is, especially when your definition of dead includes Intel’s next generation too. In all likelihood if they got a Ryzen 7 5700X or an Intel i7 12700F they will be good for years. I think enthusiasts on the Internet put too much importance on the “death” of a platform when irl almost no one is changing their CPU every 18 months.

2 Likes

A friend of mine recently upgraded his CPU, because either his mainboard or CPU was broken and his GPU was running with x1 pci lanes for some reason and x4 on the other slot where it was suffocating. I don´t know what happened I can´t exactly walk over to him and check, its pretty far.

i5-12600k seems really good rn. Initially was gonna suggest >insert some AMD cpu<, but for right now that seemed to be the best in that price bracked.

Also the freaking i5 is a 10 core cpu, what happened? Oh, yeah right AMD has CPUs that matter again (unlike your 8350…).

Depends on what you wanna do. For gaming (I know you said you are not). I think it actually might not be that unreasonable to pair a 3090 even with a 12600k. Realistically, you´re not gonna get a CPU thats gonna do that much better. Since games still, don´t use that many cores, yet. Though, I also have no idea what you are planning to do with your 3090.

It feels a bit weird to pair a 3090 with a “not so baller CPU”. But be it as it may your 8350 gets absolutely trashed by entry level CPUs right now and I do not think the 12600k would be much slower in many tasks than the top of the line. And with entry level cpus i mean current i3´s and ryzen 3s for like 100$. Those will absolutely stomp your 8350.

No, don´t buy ddr3 for your fx platform, please… It´s really not worth the $40, imo.

Yup, which means the CPU score contributes.

…to the CPU and overall scores, not the graphics scores which are separate.

tbh I really think the whole big.little thing Intel are doing is more a response to ARM and Apple than it is to AMD. Intel are scared of x86 losing its stranglehold over datacentres.

AM4 is basically entering the twilight phase, before going outright EoL
PLENTY of options to be had, that’ll give your 3090 breathing room unforeseen
Hecc, you could totally cheapout ATM, to go for an B450/550 board + a 1600AF as a holdover CPU
FAR greater IPC to be had, over anything AM3+ has to offer, without causing an electric bill spike

Could be if they are trying to play the long game. Not sure. AMD seems to still outperform them when it comes to power efficiency and they are not doing any of that big little stuff and they have good server CPUs now too. It could lead to more power efficient CPUs in the long run, but currently it’s just to cram more cores into the same Die area it seems (the little cores are not a slouch either). I think the primary drive for ARM in the datacenter would be cost to operate. Less cooling and power requirement. Neither 12 gen cpus are doing particularly well in.

At the moment you’re right. The 5950X still seems to consume less power than the 12900K and that’s 16 big cores, against 8+8. However I suspect Intel is eyeing up 40 core little core ARM CPUs are realising shit, for a lot of these uses lots of parallel cores are more valuable than a few performance cores, or even lots of performance cores. I think we’re definitely going to see some 40 Gracemont (or equivalent) core server CPUs from Intel moving forward. Those many core CPUs that leverage heavily the Gracemont cores with maybe 2 (if that) Golden Cove cores will dramatically reduce the power consumption over what we currently see in Alder Lake, which is skewed towards the Big Cores.

it seems with 32 gb of faster system memory it performs consistently slightly worse of a gpu score over 8gb the cpu score has risen slightly though
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 video card benchmark result - AMD FX-8350,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0.

edit: oh wait no its slower than what was in there lets try a little overclocking for giggles and shits

edit2: yep overclockin that RAM resulted in my best score yet across the board.
I am now the number 2 in my class without even really trying.
All you naysayers said my system is number 2 well yeah your right in your face bitches!!!
I am pretty damned sure if i could be bothered to setup even a slightly aggressive OC Ide be number one.