I have 1hour to pick a NVMe. Help plz

Hello. I have 1 hour to choose a M.2 NVMe SSD for a small, power efficient home server. Help very much appreciated.

It has to have 2TB, and will run on a machine with only PCIe3.0. Idle power, working power efficiency, and endurance are the priorities. Speed not so much.

It will be the only storage memory of the machine. No HDDs, cache, etc. Machine runs linux VMs on btrfs, with stuff like ftp, torrents, nextcloud, etc, but is mostly idle.

It needs to be on amazon US. Right now I’m looking at these 3 for around the same price:

• Samsung 970 Evo Plus
  • Samsung 980 Pro (PCI4.0)
  • SK Hynix Gold P31

Looking at anandtech SK Hynix seams more efficient, but 980Pro is more modern for the same price. Open to other suggestions up to 130$

Opinions?
Thanks

If you only have PCIE Gen 3 and power usage is a concern I think the answer is the P31. But any of those is a good drive.

1 Like

I replaced the drive in my Latitude 5290 tablet with a 1TB SK Hynix Gold and it lowered temps quite a bit from the Toshiba drive that came with the machine.

1 Like

Thanks for super fast replies. I’m afraid to be overlooking something much cheaper or much better and don’t have much time.

Hynix looking good. But 980Pro being marketed as top tier and costing exactly the same is messing with me.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.