I found Kingston DDR4-3200 Unbuffered ECC (KSM32ED8/16ME) DIMMs for $95

I’ve been looking for unbuffered ECC memory for my next virtualization/ZFS build.

There’s plenty of registered ECC DDR4, but unbuffered ECC DDR4 seems to be very hard to find.

Registered memory won’t work with Ryzen, Xeon E3-series, or Pentium/Celeron/Core CPUs. You can always go Epyc or Xeon E5-series, but both the CPUs and the motherboards are a lot more expensive unless you go for older hardware, which tends to be more power hungry and has worse single-core performance.

If you want a machine that has ECC, isn’t crazy expensive, and is also good for single-core performance (e.g. games), you really want a non-APU Ryzen 3000-series CPU and unbuffered ECC DIMMs.

Unfortunately, almost all ECC unbuffered DIMMs are 2666MHz or slower. That’s not great for performance on Ryzen 3000, where faster memory helps quite a bit.

You can overclock ECC memory. In theory the ECC should at least let you detect bit errors caused by timings that are too tight. However on a machine where reliability is critical I personally don’t want to poke the overclocking bear.

Micron has some 3200MHz modules (MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1) but they are crazy expensive - over $200 in most places for a 16GB DIMM.

Recently I discovered that Kingston now has a 16GB 3200MHz ECC module:
KSM32ED8/16ME

Provantage has those modules in stock right now for $95.

I was able to order two, and they shipped directly from Kingston in California.

4 Likes

Thanks for info, it appears that there are 2 SKUs and both appear to be available at EU retailers:

The Spec sheets state it’s Micron E-Die:

@wendell Your wish for 3200 Mhz ECC UDIMMs has been granted

1 Like

Just in time for me to want 3600 instead. Lol

I wish I were wealthy enough to just pay gskill exorbitant sums to make me some fast ecc memory lol

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.