I feel as if I’m going down a security rabbit hole

Hi all

So, I thought I’d ask here about what I feel like is falling down the rabbit hole when it comes to security, and to a point, privacy.

I spend a lot of my time jumping between services etc for security reasons but I feel now as if it’s becoming a big time consuming and for home life, not worth it (learning is separate)

I wanted to see what the community thinks, how much time do you put into your online security, do you use Google / Microsoft or privacy enhancing services? Or do you just setup the basics and call it a day?

Thanks!!

As someone that works in security its all about risk and your personal tolerance. As long as you’re not some bigwig or CEO you have low risk and attackers are unlikely to specifically target you. Attackers mostly go for the low hanging fruit so if you keep on top of your security more than the average Joe you’re probably doing pretty good.

Because I work in security I am a little more paranoid and tend to try and limit my exposure (i.e. not using services like LastPass). My biggest recommendation to folks is keeping on top of your passwords, so many people have very weak passwords, reuse passwords, and have no 2FA. Use a password manager, enable 2FA (non SMS based if possible) and you should be good.

In regards to the privacy stuff I dove down this rabbit hole before and use to care about it a lot, but eventually came to a similar conclusion on do I really care that much. I am still conscious and try to limit the data I expose (not using real name/email on sites that don’t need it) but I personally wouldn’t worry too much about it. At this point I use Linux and LineageOS not for the privacy aspects but because I enjoy the platforms.

2 Likes

But if you own a cellphone, or tablet
You are being tracked all the time.
Regardless of the " ways" to turn off tracking.
There are sub-processes that we dont have access to and are often not aware of because they are not available to the public.

Google is facing a 5 billion dollar class action lawsuit just for tracking your location and activities.
And thats just google!
How many other wolves are hiding in the shadows?

Access to deep web and dark web are limited to businesses, banking, government, and various vpn services. This is not openly available to the general public.

Yeah its definitely something to be a bit paranoid about.

Consider blood tests we have done on a regular basis, the results are hippa classified and cannot be accessed without proper authorization

But if you donate blood that blood goes into the system with a lot of your information.
How do we know if dna samples are taken and recorded or not?

Knowing the sneaky sh!t governments pull, its a good bet they already have our dna in a large database somewhere!

So yeah we have a right to be paranoid!

1 Like