I don't know what's going on and I need a hug

I recently upgraded my existing, (and aging) AMD FX 6300 build. I replaced the Motherboard and processor with an AMD R5 2600 and a GIGABYTE AX370-GAMING-K5 with built in RGB Acid trip lights, I also got more RAM in the form of an 8GB and 4GB stick of Team Group TPD44G2133HC15Bk DDR4. Additionally I have a corsair 500w Power supply and an R9 270x that I’m reusing until GPU stock and pricing returns from the moon. There are no drives currently installed but I plan on having 2 120GB SSDs in raid and a few spare 500GB drives for my games. Everything else is on a storage server.

The issue is that according to the Error LEDs on the motherboard, the PC makes it through the CPU and DRAM self tests, but gets stuck or has an error on the GPU, and I get no display output. I’ve already tried swapping the GPU (which is known good) for a 750ti (also known good) to see if that was the issue, to no avail. And I’ve tried changing out the ram for a pair of 4GB sticks. Also interesting to note is my motherboard box has a sticker on it that says “Ryzen 2000 ready,” which I would assume means it has had it’s BIOS updated, because it looks like it was added after the fact. Anyone have any further troubleshooting tips or should I send the board back and get an x470 board to remove the chance the board is the issue?

Also note I’ve already tried a CMOS reset.
This board lacks a beep speaker and the spare I plugged in makes no noise.

I’ve run into this kind of issue when building a pc for a good friend of mine. What ended up being the issue is that even though the motherboard said it was R5 2600 ready it really wasn’t. If you happen to have a first generation Ryzen cpu try seating that into the socket. That’s what worked for him. He had to contact ASROCK, the maker of his motherboard, (he also got it from a microcenter) and turned out it was a BIOS issue making the new Ryzen gen 2 CPU not working with the motherboard.

@FeatureLinux That’s what I feared, guess I’ll have to return the CPU. Although the LEDs on the board seem to indicate the CPU is OK.

I should mention I’ve made a thread on the LTT forums as well and I’ve gone inot a bit more detail there on the matter.

Sounds familiar.
The fact it gets stuck after the CPU could mean bad PCIe slot or the CPU test did not really pass (wich in turn means the BIOS is outdated)

Here is what nobody else provided …

/ hug

1 Like

Or you could return the motherboard.

1 Like

<3 Thanks

This may be a better course of action, could you point me in the direction of an x470 board with iommu support?

@wendell is the better person to ask that.

I just put together a build with an x470 taichi board, there is an option in uefi for iommu, and I believe there is a L1 video about it