I am new and have a problem after Linux Mint installation [SOLVED]

Hello,

As stated in the title I am relatively new to Linux and definitely new to the forum so I hope I don’t break any guidelines by posting here. I only ever installed a Linux distro on a single hard drive pc so my current problem came to be. I installed Linux Mint 19 (cinnamon) 64bit on my current laptop. This laptop has an 80GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, so I followed the easy installation guide. The problem came when I started installing a few games and my SSD filled up really fast, so I tried to install the games on a different on the hard drive and got really confused as to how to get that working. Out of frustration, I decided to reinstall Mint but this time on the hard drive with custom installation. I formatted the SSD and made the relevant partitions on the HDD, this all went well but on reboot, I only got a black screen with a flickering dash.

I hope you would be able to help an idiot trying to figure out where he went wrong. If possible I would like to make my laptop operate normally again and boot from the SSD and install programs on the HDD.

Here are the specifications of the laptop if needed:
Medion Erazer x682X
Intel core i7-3610QM @2.30GHZ
16GB DDR3
80GB SSD + 1TB HDD
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670M

My thanks and sorry for any bad English,
Jan Thomas

Congratulations on switching to GNU/Linux! You’ve now moved into the dark side of the force… which is the bright side of the force, in this case!

Ah, yes! Is this the black screen with a single white cursor blinking on the top left corner? If so, and this has happened to me numerous times with Antergos, Manjaro and a variety of other distros, then this is likely an issue with the NVIDIA drivers. I am guessing you chose to install the drivers from the graphical interface with the provided for tool? On Antergos it used to be the case (at least until 6 months back) that the in-built tool would fetch older versions of the driver. The workaround that worked for me every time, and I now do this for all my installations on all distros, is:

Now, this all may seem overwhelming at first, but it’s really deceptively simple.
Here’s a step-by-step guide for you.

1. Switch to non-GUI tty1

Ctrl+alt+F1

1. Remove existing drivers.

sudo service xfwm4 stop

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

1. Blacklist Nouveau

sudo bash -c "echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"

sudo bash -c "echo options nouveau modeset=0 >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf

Confirm with modprobe:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf
blacklist nouveau

Update kernel initramfs

sudo update-initramfs -u

Reboot

sudo systemctl reboot

Add repository

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers

sudo apt-get update

Install Drivers

sudo apt-get install nvidia-390

Reboot

sudo systemctl reboot

Hopefully, you’ll be able to boot right in now!

Let us know how it all went!

If the above fix doesn’t work, perhaps this will be of help.

Since you’re using cinnamon and have lightdm as your login manager, you’ll might need to reinstall it to get everything going.

First off, when you get the flashing cursor, try CTRL+ALT+F8 or CTRL+ALT+F9 rather than F1. That should get you to a terminal prompt screen. (I find on different distros I sometimes have to use other F keys to get a prompt. )

From there, you’ll want to uninstall and reinstall your login manager.
Login in from the terminal prompt as root then try these commands:

apt remove lightdm lightdm-settings slick-greeter
apt install lightdm lightdm-settings slick-greeter
dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

Hopefully that gets lightdm working.

Thank you so much for the fast reply. It is not a cursor but an underscore like you could start writing something. Helas the pc does not react to any keyboard command so pressing ctrl + alt + F1 (F8 or F9) does nothing for me.

Are you getting the grub manager or is it dying before you even get to select the kernel?

I do not get the Grub manager. After the bios screen it directly loads that black screen, could it be that some way or another introduced a fault there ?

it’s possible you may have corrupted grub somehow. If that’s the case, this might be your solution:

edit: Try the Ubuntu/Debian solution

I can boot from usb but I do not have an uefi mode on this laptop as far as I can find.

The Medion laptops have UEFI enabled normally. You can hit F2 to get into BIOS to verify. You may have to press it repeatedly on boot in case you have fast boot enabled.

Yes I did that but my laptop doesn’t even have the fast boot option only bootup numlock state and quiet boot.
The bios is Aptio Setup Utility - Copyright © 2011 American Megatrends, Inc.

Perhaps it might be faster / easier to just reinstall rather than attempt to fix?

I will try and do that.

Sorry for double posting, but it all works now so thank you very much for all the help. If possible could you explain how I would go about installing programs the “windows way” where I can choose a folder on the 1TB HDD for example ? I have currently left this as unallocated space.

I hope it is possible since this was the original reason I got into this problem.

And again thank you so much.

You’re not going to install programs the windows way. Most likely anything you install will be through the package manager, which will install files to predetermined locations based on file type. Linux isn’t like Windows, programs aren’t installed to individual folders.

You could use the HDD as a Steam game folder if you wish.

1 Like

Oke that makes things more difficult. So if I used Wine or any other program everything would end up on the ssd.

Wine would install to ssd, but you can choose where to install the wine environment, which usually would be in your home folder. But you can install the environment to the HDD.

Could you please leave a note on “How” you ended up with a working computer (driver reinstall, GRUB fix, complete reinstall)? This is helpful as often novice users, i.e. Level 1 ;-), tend to come to forums looking not so much for deep system understanding as they do for “hacks” to get a stable working machine! I know because I used to be one of them. As Wendell says, “We were all Level 1 at some point!”. It’s helpful to just have a “1 2 3 FIXED!” guide sometimes!

1 Like

Very true, I did a complete reinstall of the os following this installation guide from Linux Techi

1 Like

Do some reading on the fstab file and how to add a drive to your Linux system. You can mount your spinning rust drive somewhere in /home, or you can mount it in one of the more customary locations and set up a symbolic link to it. This is “The Linux Way.”