HyperX headset not working with M1 Macbook through KVM Switch

KVM Model:

1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Dual Monitor - Two Computer

USB Interface (5-gigabit or 10-gigbit):

10 gigabit

Problem:

My monitors and USB devices are all working with both computers, but my HyperX Cloud II headset only works with my PC. It does not work with my M1 Macbook Pro.

The headset works totally fine connected directly to the Mac. When I connect it through the KVM switch, the Macbook sees the audio device but no sound plays.

Other Notes:

type here

Have you fiddled with any of the audio hot keys? Like the audio follows port?

Is this an analog or USB connection?

Here’s the two hotkeys to check:

Audio

Key Sequence Function
Hotkey Leading Code + F5 Audio Follow Port Selection (ON / OFF)*
Hotkey Leading Code + A Force Audio Follow to Current Port

Sorry for taking so long to get back, I was on vacation for a week.

I just gave those audio hotkeys a try and they don’t seem to be making a difference. This is a wireless USB headset.

When I first selected the Macbook on the KVM switch, the headset dongle didn’t even light up and the Macbook didn’t see it at all. After unplugging and plugging it back in, the light on the dongle came back and the Macbook could see the audio device again, but still no sound.

@wendell ?

HyperX Cloud II

unplug kvm from power, usb and display, reattach power, usb from host computers and display in that order. no peripherals.

attach hyperx cloud II to usb3 port only. do not connect to hid. A quirk of hid is that if you try a hid port then try a usb3 port its not the same as starting with usb3. what happens on the wire is “hey device do you only support hid? I can only speak hid” and it answers yes, but thats a lie. the kvm remembers that device when it goes into a usb3 port. it can’t actually do hid protocols I bet.

so from a fresh start you gotta plug it straight into usb3. if that doesn’t work thats interesting but 99.99999% of the time usb3 works fine for these kinds of wacky colors-outside-the-lines devices.

1 Like

Awesome that worked! Thanks so much!

I may have spoke too soon. It did work at first, but it was back to the previous state after I turned the headset off and tried to use it again an hour later.

I did not unplug/change any devices after it was working and didn’t shut off or sleep the Macbook either. It also still has the issue where it doesn’t light up the dongle at all after switching to the PC and back.

@wendell thoughts why it would stop working after a period of time?

is this direct attach to the kvm or via a hub? usb3 port still right?