Hybrids of the future

For many, hybrids seem to be the way of the future. But what will the technology in those cars/trains/ships look like?

Please post future hybrid vehicles here as well hybrid technology that is currently being developed.

Via Motors partnered with GM and will sell three Chevy commercial work vehicles that they converted into hybrids in 2019 . Via Motors also claim that the vehicles can power your home in the event of a power outage. Pricing is not yet available.

Excerpt from VIA Motors wiki page:

The VIA VTRUX truck has a 40-mile battery-only range,[8] and a 35-mile range for the van and SUV. After batteries are depleted, a gas-powered generator creates electricity for continued driving, similar to the architecture of the Chevy Volt.[6][

Batteries. VIA's vehicles uses 22 kWh liquid-cooled nanophosphate lithium-ion batteries from A123 Energy Solutions. The battery chemistry is based on research from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).[14] The nanoscale structure of the Nanophosphate chemistry enables battery systems with higher power, increased abuse tolerance, longer life and the greater ability to maintain consistent power over a wide range of state of charge (SOC) as compared with competing lithium ion and other chemistries.[15]

Gas Engine. Gas Engine A 4.3L V6 combustion engine is paired with VIA’s electric generator to form a gas/electric generator set. The gas engine runs only when generating electricity to recharge the batteries.

Electric Generator. The 150 kW (201 hp) generator is connected directly to the engine and only runs to charge the batteries. The motor and generator are supplied by Remy International.[16]

Electric Motor. The electric motor provides propulsion at all times. The 150 kW 402 Nm motor weighs 108 lbs and measures 11”x 11”.[17]

Inverter. VIA claims the truck can be used to power a home in an emergency. PG&E intends to use the truck to provide emergency street power during outages.[18] The power export capacity is offered in 10 kW or 50 kW options. The inverters used for the traction motor and generator are supplied by TM4 Electrodynamic Systems.[19]

Charging. Vehicles can be charged with 120, 240 or 480 volts (Level 3 charging station). Charging times vary based on input voltage, and can range from 8 hours with a household outlet to 3 hours with a charging station.

But my rotary.

4 Likes

The engine of true men. Power density for days.

Only thing better is v12/w12

As long as I'm alive, there will be at least 3 cars on the road sipping dino juice.

1 Like

And motorcycles. You can pry my sport bike from my cold dead hands. No way I'm riding an electric motorcycle.

2 Likes

To be fair I believe in renewable energy and I think propane would be a better alternative to current fuel. We're currently working on converting an 83 GMC truck to propane.

3 Likes

I'd like to see the Abrams M1 tank converted into a hybrid. It's such a gas guzzler now and it must rely upon a CVT in order to keep its turbine engines running in a more efficient power band.

A hybrid tank could run "silently" for short periods if need be. It would be more fuel efficient and it could keep a smaller turbine running at its most efficient and constant RPM instead of revving up and down which they aren't that good at. It might even get away with a more traditional ICE though the weight to power isn't as good, efficiency would improve further.

Also a hybrid vehicle to replace the HMMWV would also see improvements. Instead of an exposed drive train, each wheel could be independently powered by a sealed electric motor, improving ground clearance and resistance to IED and land mines.

2 Likes

Theres already battery operated robotanks that can move at like 80 MPH carrying 2 people and like 100 with half its ammo or some crazy shit. I think it was called the Shark?

2 Likes

Shark Tank... Lulz

4 Likes

That's a cool idea. If you have the time, would you consider writing a post and uploading some pictures of the process?

I'm into being efficient and working with renewable energy too. My daily is a 2009 C300 with a 6 speed. AKA: pretty good on gas, while still being comfortable for the long haul at 100+ mph. I also have a passion for cars that outweighs my passion for technology by a significant margin.

I'll have to write a blog post about it some time, but the long and short of it is that I'm an adrenaline junkie and racing cars is the greatest rush I've ever felt. Something about being propelled at inhuman speeds across the earth by something that is LITERALLY POWERED BY EXPLOSIONS!

That said, my race car gets 28mpg if I keep it under 3000rpm. That's the benefit of turbochargers on low-displacement engines, but it does take a while to come into boost and the lag is an interesting trade-off.

1 Like

Yeah it'll be the same design as forklifts but with a straight six instead of a 2X Boxer.

2 Likes

I always wondered about this: Could you use an electric compressor to fill a tank that can be used to spool up the turbos on demand? That is sort of an electric hybrid. Maybe a really small IC engine/hybrid with turbo and compressor would be more efficient than current designs.

I remember a long time back reading a Popular Science mag where they had this Ford/Tonka concept truck that had a hydraulic motor attached to the driveshaft. It pumped fluid into two tanks while braking and stored the energy for the next take-off. Hydraulic regenerative braking for towing vehicles seems like it could increase efficiency. I'm guessing the motor was too expensive to put into production.

Found the article, and also did a search for a few pics.

Although in reality the most efficient car is the one you never have to use. Kind of like how the best way to save money on an off-grid power system is to use less power. I haven't driven in many years. I work on cars and have all of the tools, so people come to me. Other than the heat for half the year I'm fairly content here at the beach :relaxed:

4 Likes

How about an APU hah! https://youtu.be/11687nVdzdk

sorry, I really love that thing and you reminded me of it.

2 Likes