HUMOUR / MOAN - Defrag'ing an SSD (a little knowledge is dangerous)

I’ve moaned about a friend lately, who still uses XP.

Thought I’d mention that when he has a computer problem, he thinks Defrag’ing his 1TB SSD will help it. I’ve told him not to, but he claims that as there are no moving parts, how can defrag’ing wear it out.

Hmm. :tired_face:

3 Likes

Dude’s a smart one! :rofl:
Why on earth is he running Windows XP on a 1tb SSD?
Cringe is real…

5 Likes

None the least because Windows XP doesn’t have AHCI support out of the box and has no support for trim either. XP is just about the worse OS to run an SSD on.

7 Likes

atlesat its not windows ME

3 Likes

@Automobili3XF Hehe! :joy: I think I partitioned it or something, so he’s getting the benefit. At least I’m sure I did… Hmm.

@MichaelLindman I think he had a 120GB SSD which I installed around 4 years before hand (and a 1TB HDD), then just cloned it onto the 1TB and adjusted the partition size. Worked fine…I think!

@Dje4321 That’s on his machine upstairs…

(I kid you not).

3 Likes

Has anyone ever tried explaining the technologies that go into these systems to him?

3 Likes

Even vista was not so wonderful in regards to ssds… You can do it but why ?

1 Like

This belongs in the tech cringe thread.

2 Likes

Sounds like a keeper

2 Likes

Jeez, just figured out how to quote - does that mean I don’t have to do the @Novasty thing?

Anywho, yes. Many times, but like I say, he’s very stubborn. He’s a lovely guy otherwise, always keen to share his knowledge, also taught me how to play the guitar when I were younger and more free.

@thevillageidiot Don’t ask - he just needed more capacity and I suggested a large SSD. He was quite happy to spend £300 per SSD, 1 as primary and another as secondary.

@Adubs I was just thinking that!

@Justatree :joy:

1 Like

Yup, we still get the notification without the @ when you quote

3 Likes

or even when you just click reply

2 Likes

Cheers guys

3 Likes

Well the wear leveling is very good on modern SSD’s. Your friend will probably live in ignorance fine till his next upgrade.

I still run an intel SSD I bought 10 years ago for a VM’s. The thing won’t die from home use.

1 Like

Absolutely, I suppose it’s up to me whether I replace in good time or let it go and fail!

I’ve got an old Intel SSD too, gave it to my parents recently after I had used it for 6+ years. Did a test and it was only down to 80% after all that time.

@Novasty @Automobili3XF @thevillageidiot @MichaelLindman @Adubs

Just dug out an email I got from him, after I advised against defrag:

interesting, but slightly like a load of ‘rubbish’ (harsher word used) perhaps … if something is solid state there are no moving parts, the only movement is of electrons along conductive paths.

…I don’t quite see how multiple writes and rewrites shortens the life of the units, it is after all exactly what happens in RAM chips or maybe the cache areas of processors repeatedly throughout the life of a computer with similar materials and processes being used.

… I didn’t understand a lick of what was said there.

Seriously, link him this shit:

4 Likes

Ya … trim verses defrag might help if you google/

1 Like