HPE/Aruba 2920 Switch PSU X331 replacment fan Noctua 40mm

Hello forum,

I have a Aruba 2920 10Gb switch that is going to be used in a home lab.

The fan in the modular HPE X331 power supply is too noisy use use in this environment.

I have looked around the web and found that people are replacing 40mm fans with Noctua
NF-A4x20’s.

The problem is that I do not know if the correct fan to use is the 5V or 12V model as it looks like the 5V model uses a 5V motor.

Would anyone here know what the voltage is on the existing fan? Otherwise I will have to wait for the JST-XH extension breakout cable to arrive to measure the voltage as the connector is too small to probe with a meter directly.

Also, Is anyone aware of a cheaper alternative to the Noctua 40x40x20mm fan with similar performance on ebay perhaps?

Thanks for reading, any input would be appreciated. :wink:

Here is a picture of the power supply
c03668177

If you take the fan out it should have a sticker with the voltage on it. But it’s a pretty safe bet that it’s 12v if it’s so loud you want to replace it.

2 Likes

I took the fan out. The only markings on the fan is that sticker on the back and a serial number on the top of the fan.

What is the serial number? Maybe you can google that and it can lead you to a spec sheet.

2 Likes

It is a 12V NMB-MAT fan. Model 1611RL-04W-B46

1 Like

After 3 years I still have not completed this project.

I have ordered some fans off ebay but none of them have arrived. Even though I get replacement parts for my car off ebay china no problem.

I ordered a fan noctua NF-A4x20 and already installed.
I used an adapter GELID PWM Fan Adapter for VGA Cooler Fan.
But the white connector does not fit to connect the fan on the board.
However, the adapter is also too large. What is the best way to solve this? Is there a suitable adapter?

Get two extension cables that fits both ends then join the wires together. I read somewhere that if the tach sensor on the power supply senses that the RPM of the fan is wrong then it will give you an alarm. But that could be a different switch. You would have to make a tach doubler or something to fix that.

So I’ve also got a 2920, which I’ve decided the power supply fan might be on the way out, or its just to noisy.

I recently did a noctua 40x40x20 12v PWM fan conversion on a 2530, easy plug and play basically.

I did some exploring last night, and the 2920 power supply seems to use a 4 wire fan as well. The connector inside the ps, looks like something from an old 4 pin cd-rom header back in the day. Or are most people just doing a splice/solder to swap the fans?

I have been doing some more research, and this connector looks correct.

SUNON MC40201V2-Q000-S99 DC12V 0.9W 404020MM 4Pin Cooling Fan → this one has the 6000rpm limit, and what looks like a correct connector.

NIDEC 404028MM 12V 0.73A 4cm W40S12BS4A5-07 4Pin Cooling Fan → 13500rpm, but the correct connector, and more likely the proper wiring order. But it’s probably just as loud.

Did you ever replace your 2920 fans with something quieter? Any issues?

For anyone that did a 2920 fan replacement on the PSU, Do you have a wiring diagram of what was changed, or any more build photos, etc?

Thank you for your consideration.