HP MO1600JEFPC SAS2 SSD Firmware Flashing Tools/Guide?

Hello!

These HP SAS2 SSDs are OEM versions of the HGST MUSMM616ASS200 .

I’ve managed to track down the latest version of the HP firmware for these, but I can’t figure out how to flash it to the SSDs without an HP server and the HP-specific tools for managing HP servers.

Is there a guide to flashing HP firmware onto HP-branded HGST drives with the sg toolset or hdparm or something else? I’m willing to experiment with one of the disks to see if I can get the latest firmware on it (and then on all 8 of the HP-branded drives).

In the alternative, is there any chance I can cross-flash the HP OEM ones to the standard HGST firmware (which I’m working on getting from WD now)? Honestly, I want to do this anyway.

The HP firmware keeps throwing warnings at me during automatic health-checks that, after some research, amounts to “SMART PASSED but there’s some weird stuff going on here,” the weird stuff being the HP drives trying to send proprietary HP information to HP’s backplane to control fan speeds, apparently.

This happens whenever smartd checks the drive health, so it’s clogging up my dmesg and console rather frequently.

I’d really like to just put the HGST firmware on there if I can. Otherwise, I’ll probably just disable smartd montioring on those drives.

Thanks!