HOWTO Running Plex Media Server in Linux, with Docker in just 5 mins!

Hi all,

Thought I’d share another quick repo I’ve put together as a result of toying with Plex today on my Threadripper box.

I wanted to test out performance where I share an NFS mount from the Threadripper box, to Plex sitting insider a Docker container, and the NFS share is served from the FreeNAS rig.

Config is super simple, and this time around I when with a vanilla docker cli config, but I’ve linked in the README should anyone here want to contribute switching it over to the docker-compose YAML definition, which is always less of a an eye sore for sure.

CC @SgtAwesomesauce more Docker fun…

3 Likes

Oh goes without saying, I didn’t want to use the FreeNAS Plex plugin… I prefer isolated systems.

I’m actually getting ready to move my freenas server over to ZFSOnLinux, so this is perfect for me. Thanks!

@bsodmike: making my life easier, one github repo at a time.

1 Like

Ha pleasure!

What I plan to do is fire up another VM on bhyve and have that load up my media volume over NFS — I essentially PoC’d the same thing, just using the TR box to do the ‘same thing’. In any case though, once I push the Docker image to AWS ECR, it’s just 1-bash script away from moving the container across any instance of my choice really.

Once you start playing and enjoying the convenience of pushing/pulling to a private registry (AWS ECR offers this, at a low cost) it becomes really powerful quickly.

Sort of OT…

A while back I was watching an AWS keynote where Riot games was basically detailing their ‘magic sauce’ and how they leveraged Docker. Just based on that, I set about building something very similar, well distilling the essence of it… -

Advantages

• Guaranteed at run time
  • Able to easily move containers around using private registry

Hard stuff

• Tackling container security. I personally prefer taking a HashiCorp Vault based approach like Kickstarter has and this is my favourite talk on the subject.

Harder stuff, when in a ‘cluster’

• May need further magic a la Kubernetes etc. Basically, you need some internal fabric to auto-route traffic to the ‘right’ container(s) inside the cluster.
  • When in a cluster, you’d want each container piping logs to an ELK stack and/or a Graphana/Kibana stack for real-time metrics. Chances are you’d need both.
  • Side-loading data into the container at run time; I’m looking at using S3 as an ingress source.
  • There are still some aspects I haven’t looked at 100% of course.

The points above aren’t exhaustive by any means…

1 Like

Would be keen to hear what’s involved and how you plan to go about it - looks like it’s not ‘as straightforward’ for the uninitiated and my ZFS use has been rather limited till now :slight_smile: Mostly tinkering with zpool at the cli is about the most I’ve gone…

You have to rebuild the zpool. BSD ZFS and Linux ZFS are a bit different and usually the BSD version is ahead by a couple feature tags.

I’ve picked up 2 of those WD easystore 8TB drives (the ones that people shuck to get reds) and I’ll be backing up my data there and rebuilding the array after installing Fedora.

1 Like