How to verify NVMe Drive

I recently bought a second Nvme drive, (1TbSPCC). So I installed it in the first slot closer to the processor and moved the existing Samsung 970 Evo to the below slot, which sits under the GPU, actually I cannot even see it as it is blocked by my 2080 Super.

So I started noticing that 3ds Max and Substance painter complains about corrupted files when I try to save the file to the 970 Evo. The files themselves work, luckily there has been no actual corruption. But I suspect this isn’t 100% OK. The drive worked perfectly before when in slot 1 and I never see these errors when not using this drive.

Is there a way to test NVMe SSD so that before I start to save work to it, I would know its okay?

Now, should the problem be temperature, when GPU is maxed out with Furmark and running Crystal Diskmark simultaneously the temps are around 78C makes in Drive Temperature 2 in HWInfo. Is this too much?

And do you guys recommend actually using the super unefficient “heat sink” that comes with gaming motherboards? I have them installed but I wonder if they make it worse or better.

I think its very high. You can install Samsung Magician and it will tell you how too high. I think in general the M.2 temps should be between 50 and 60.

1 Like

Yes you are right, and the temps went over 80C.
It appears that the GPU is blowing hot air on it.

What would be your suggested solution to this? Buy PCI adapter card and install it via that?

You can connect GPU to any PCI slot. Any lost of FPS is practically placebo effect - even if the slot is electronically only 8x.

M.2 under the air cooled GPU will get always hot. It is even possible that your mobo vendor in the manual suggest not putting GPU in that slot because of that reason.

Adapter will be OK - but just maybe not the one next to GPU fans.

1 Like

If you can still test the drive you can use the freeware tool H2testw for Windows (just click on Download, don’t bother with the German site, the tool itself also has an English GUI).

By default it writes test files to a specified folder until the entire drive space is used up and continues to verify the data content of all test files.

You can check a box to loop the verifying process indefinitely (a neverending read load on a drive for stressing cables/ports/interfaces/system memory).

On SSDs the write process needs a lot more power than reading data resulting in more heat output during write, but the drive should always thermal throttle if the SSD controller gets too hot, there should never be any corrupted files.

It’s a lot more likely that there is an issue with BIOS/RAM/drivers or that there are program software bugs that result in damaged files than an SSD doing that in operation.

A drive corrupting data sent to it is a huge No-No in the storage world and would lead to a PR nightmare for the manufacturer.

1 Like

Due to rendering requirements I moved my RTX to the below slot and installed blower style 1070ti to the upper slot. Now the slot between the cards should be not as hot. But I have to check if my lanes are enough for running 2nvme and 2 graphics cards.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.