How to test a mobo without a CPU?

Today I picked up an MSI B150 Bazooka that, I was told, was bad. Also, the person who supposedly tested it is correct about technology 15% of the time.

So. Is there a way to see about this board without investing in a big amount of money for hardware I don’t plan on using? Or can I give this to one of you to test, and if good, sell and we split it 50/50?

Thanks.

Depends on what they said was wrong with it.

Get out a magnifying glass, and look at the CPU socket. maybe it’s just bent pins.

1 Like

You could also put a cpu in it, a cpu cooler and some memory.
Then fire it up and see if all the leds go on and cpu fan starts to spin aswell.
That will give you some indication about the board.

What did they say was wrong with it?

idk I’d rather not spend money on a board I won’t be using to be honest.

Just that it didn’t work. Not really anything past that.

Though I know the guy, he’s dense. He easily could have not plugged in CPU power.

Well yeah without a cpu its kinda hard to test.
But yeah i agree that board isnt really worth investing money on tbh.
Unless you could find a cheap used cpu for it.

150 is skylake yeah?

inspect the entire board for possible burned components, bad solder joints. and broken components
used to be you could get a test card called post card and it would display a hex code on the led’s and you could test boards without a cpu but they wouldnt work on todays boards.
many of todays boards have leds (surface mount) that provide the same function but not all of them.

1 Like

I’m over here wondering the same thing, expecting the same dead end answers. Thinking about gambling and just buying a 5700G to replace my dead 1700X. Board is probably fine, don’t think LEDs would even light up after hitting power button if chipset was dead.

First stage power circuitry is independant of cpu and chipset.
Often when powered on fans and drives will run but nothing more.
In a lot of lappies there is usually an led indicator when the power cord is plugged in.
They are machine independant and will light regardless of whether the lappy is turned on or not.
In a desktop you will find power to a lot of the mobo( when the power supply it turned on) unless the power supply itself is dead.

1 Like