I’ve been working on getting GPU pass-through to work on notebooks for quite some time and have created a set of scripts that automate the process to make it easy and accessable. I released everything on GitHub: https://github.com/T-vK/MobilePassThrough
Basically what I automated is:
- The installation of required dependencies
- The changes required to the kernel parameters
- The installation of Bumblebee and the Nvidia GPU driver
- The checking required to find out to what extend your device is compatible with GPU pass-through.
- The extraction of your GPU’s VBIOS ROM
- The creation and configuration of a virtual machine that is fully configured for GPU pass-through.
- The required rebinding of the GPU to either the vfio drivers (when the VM starts) or the nvidia drivers (when the VM exits).
Here’s a screenshot showing the compatibility-check script in action:
On https://gpu-passthrough.com/ I’ve published a list of devices I tested with detail on how far you can get with GPU pass-through on these devices. I’ll update the list when have more time to test further devices.
Anyway, just wanted to let you know about the project. Maybe you have a notebook that you’d like to try this out on.