Return to Level1Techs.com

[How to] Set up GPU passthrough on notebooks with one click (or two)

I’ve been working on getting GPU pass-through to work on notebooks for quite some time and have created a set of scripts that automate the process to make it easy and accessable. I released everything on GitHub: https://github.com/T-vK/MobilePassThrough

Basically what I automated is:

• The installation of required dependencies
  • The changes required to the kernel parameters
  • The installation of Bumblebee and the Nvidia GPU driver
  • The checking required to find out to what extend your device is compatible with GPU pass-through.
  • The extraction of your GPU’s VBIOS ROM
  • The creation and configuration of a virtual machine that is fully configured for GPU pass-through.
  • The required rebinding of the GPU to either the vfio drivers (when the VM starts) or the nvidia drivers (when the VM exits).

Here’s a screenshot showing the compatibility-check script in action:

On https://gpu-passthrough.com/ I’ve published a list of devices I tested with detail on how far you can get with GPU pass-through on these devices. I’ll update the list when have more time to test further devices.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know about the project. Maybe you have a notebook that you’d like to try this out on.

Automatically check hundreds of laptops for GPU pass-through compatibility

Nice work, good job, you are an mvp

Bloody nice, too bad I got rid of my gaming laptop, would’ve been sweet to test :persevere:

Well, I have to thank you. If it wasn’t for you raising awareness on GPU passthrough, I probably wouldn’t even know that it is possible.

Blast from the past when a whole new world opened up, this whole thing has evolved nicely :grin:

Anyone think this could run live off a usb stick? I am aware that the speed would suck, but I’m thinking of usb booting all the gaming laptops on display at my local store to get some “try before you buy” time. Then purchase. I don’t need cutting edge graphics and would let me buy a more reasonably priced laptop. It’s this or the external usb-c lightning setup.

I’ve done custom squash-fs debian live. Wondering how much of a pain it would be to do this to Fedora’s live bootable medium.

Yes this is possible and I have done it. You have to install Fedora 29 on a USB stick and then you can run the scripts. So what I mean is you create a Fedora installation stick and then use that to actually install Fedora onto another USB stick.

Doing this from a bare live CD/stick is not possible at the moment. I have looked into it though and there is a way I could create a custom live image that could do the job. It is a lot of work though and I have very little experience with it. Last time I played with it I was really annoyed by how long the build process takes.

Edit:
And keep in mind that for the first time you run the setup script from the MobilePassThrough project, you need an Internet connection to download the required packages. You should only need to do this once though and then you can test the other notebooks without an Internet connection.

Edit2:
If you found a notebook that works with an external GPU, don’t forget to also report it to https://egpu.io .