How to Screen Capture a Fresh Install

I’m looking to capture the entire process of an install ( If at all possible ) I do have 2 machines and OBS but I’m not familiar of a way to do this. I know i can use a VM, but I would rather try this on bare metal.

Any one with tips?

A capture card just like you would use for a game console would work, but a VM would be easier IMO.

I have a unit that I use occasionally, its really good with strange resolutions. I’ll have to get the model number for you.

1 Like

:woozy_face: I was walking today and said :
I hope someone I know on the forum can save me from having to go buy a Capture Card…” You were my only hope @SgtAwesomesauce . . .

All jokes aside, I was hoping some one would have come up with a way to do a netinstall and capture the screen somehow…

If it can’t be done, I guess a VM might have to do the trick.

1 Like

I mean, you might be able to do a serial console install if the machine supports it.

1 Like

What about VNC ? Though I’ll be honest, I have had little use for VNC, but not sure what would happen during the restart and having to reconnect? I’m really throwing an arrow in the dark here, but i guess it was worth the try…

Maybe.

I don’t like VNC, but it could be an option if you’re really opposed to VM and buying hardware.

It’s gonna be sketchy as all hell though.

1 Like

:sob: Yeah, I’m just gonna bite the bullet and do the VM instead. Not buying the hardware for it at the moment, The project wouldn’t be worth it really…

thanks.

1 Like

There’s a $15 HDMI->USB adapter; PiKVM DIY instructions have the reference. https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001043540669.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail … it’s available on Amazon as well, and elsewhere. I used one for an install recently (not stream or record don’t ask) and I’m not sure it supports 4:4:4 chroma for the resolution the installer choose, but it was ok, especially once I used setfont ... in the terminal.

AVerMedia also sells a lot of Linux compatible video capture stuff that might be useful to you too.

1 Like

EposVox does have a whole thing dedicated to “Can’tLinks”

1 Like

I actually bought one of those out of curiosity. They work perfectly fine. I only tried it on a non fresh windows machine though.

1 Like

I went with the Avermedia ExtremeCap UVC because it offered 1080p60 MJPEG over USB 2.0.

Their newer model has less latency, but no MJPEG fallback at all so it’s USB 3.0 only.

1 Like