How to run virtual portable ubuntu?

hi

i tried to look into many different methods and few on github , but nothing works.

what am trying to do is run ubuntu as virtual os inside windows 10 in a portable way so where I go i have ubuntu with me to learn on it at the same time I don’t install ubuntu and have windows running at the sametime to play games or do my windows work etc…, as am trying to learn more and more about linux and found ubuntu nice and easy (coming from windows)

i watch tutorials etc… to become linux admin sort of :slight_smile: but I dont always have access to my workstation and many times am at another location so i need something to be able to run it from my portable ssd/usb on the go that will boot on windows 10 computers.

not sure if I needed to have network access or not but i think for now it will be fine to just be able to run ubuntu or maybe other linux distro that will help me to learn using shells/terminals etc… anywhere i go

virtualbox portable seems to have problems running on win10 , and i couldnt find anything else that do portable virtualization :frowning:

How about setting up a linux VM on your workstation and putting putty on your portable drive. When you are at your workstation, use it as normal. When you are at another computer, ssh into the vm at your workstation with putty.

There is an official portable putty.exe build-
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

If you do this, make sure to use public/private keypair authentication rather then password. Also, disable root login via ssh, if you need root access when on ssh, use sudo or su(switch user) to root.

2 Likes

There used to be a portable apps version of virtualbox, but IDK if thats really what you’d want?

This is what it is now, so it’ll just be whatever you can make work I think. I think you’ll have to take what you can get.

1 Like

I tried it , it seems that it is outdated and doesn’t work with windows 10

nice idea i thought about it , but then i can just install terminal on windows and use that , my idea it was to have ubuntu full working and use the gui when i needed to check and the terminal to learn etc…
for example moving a file in terminal wasn’t easy when I started so i always checked in Gui if I moved the file or not , if I renamed it or not etc… having a gui is handy. and remote putty I use it locally in my house and I use synergy 2 to navigate between 3 computers…

but having ubuntu where ever I needed is nice and without internet needed. it is just like you have linux laptop :slight_smile: without buying a laptop.

it seems as of today there it not available to run vm portable.

@TheCakeIsNaOH thanks for the help , i gave up on finding a virtual portable way to do it.

so am going to let an old i3 pc be a victim and make it accessible remotely and have ubuntu on it.

now i am trying to “disable root login via ssh” as you advised which sounds like a good idea for security obviously however i didnt know how to do that

I tried to follow this
https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/getting-started-guide/accessing-your-account/disabling-ssh-logins-for-root

and at the step where i suppose to use nano to open that file to edit it but I cant find this line
[PermitRootLogin yes]

later on am going to try to make DSA Key =.=! still dont know how that works yet but will figure it anyway this is what is cool about all the tech , i love learning these new things bit by bit i solve an issue then new one comes up hhhh.

DSA is good enough as keypair authentication ?

i have no idea about public and private keys :3

is it similar to SSL and these certificates that make sure it is you connecting to it (make sure who hold the certificate only connects ) while at the same time encrypt what you send and receive right ?

am not that good in software nor am good in networking half decent in hardware :blush: and trying to learn linux and everything i run into to increase my IT knowledge coz i love that type of science and for my career.

I am researching it now , u dont have to answer hhh i will learn it somewhere, but just to be sure…>
so private it is something you make in house for you to use between your devices ?
public it is something you buy online to get your connection secured =.=! and encrypted on some level ?

I could be wrong, but I think the keypair you use for authentication is totally different then the encryption used for encrypting the connection. So even is you use a password to login, the connection itself is still encrypted. The keypair is so other people are not able to connect.

I would suggest a RSA keypair instead, source

They are basically the same thing when used for SSH, just RSA is newer.

The private key stays with putty, the public key gets copied to any computers you want to connect to.

Which file are you opening? Try /etc/ssh/sshd_config

thanks alot , but no need for it for a while hhhh XD cant go anywhere . but will learn more about it so when i need it , i can use it