How To Resize Images Without Stretching- Inexperienced & Need Guidance!

You either have a color or transparency on the border to fill in the empty space or you crop it / scale it to what you want.

Border method with black border.

Cropped method

2 Likes

Now if I were to “Crop” it, would I have to do the Border method first? I have never actually cropped an image before, but I’m hoping it’s not hard.

You do not use the border method first.

Choose the rectangle select tool. On the tool options window choose fixed and from the drop down box choose aspect ratio. Your target aspect ratio is 1.77:1 (1920 / 1080)

select an area. Copy, paste as new image. Scale to your target dimensions (1920x1080).

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-crop.html

2 Likes

I have completed the steps above provided by @rcxb but skipped the flatten image step. (Haven’t saved it yet.) If I wanted to not have any background colors or transparency, I was told either of my options would be the border method or the cropped method. Currently, I have this checkerboard effect on either side of the image (Not sure if they’re borders or what.) Is it possible I can just get rid of it, save the image & not have to worry about background colors or transparency?

The checker board area is the transparent parts.

If you save it like that, then you will have a transparent border filling the empty space to fit in the 1920x1080 area you want for the image.

If you use flatten, then it will fill that area with the current background color you have selected.

If you do not want the border or to crop it, then it will not fit the 1920x1080 area you want without stretching.

If you just need the image to fit inside the 1920x1080 area but not actually be 1920x1080, then scale it keeping the aspect ratio. In this case set the height to 1080 and the width will update to 876.

1 Like

Look, I’ll run it by you again in a nutshell: I simply want it resized to be 1920x1080 without any background colors or transparency. Also no stretching is a big deal. So, what are my options?

I listed all the available options.

The only ways that is going to happen is if you crop it, or have the artist give you landscape version of the picture.

1 Like

OK. Just wanted to make sure of all my options.

if your into learning gimp. you will be hard pressed to find a better source of tutorials than davies media on youtube. click and subscribe.
he’s clear in his teaching methods and breaks down the basics as well as more advanced techniques.

well worth a click and sub.
enjoy learning :wink: