How to proceed

Hey all. This is pretty vague but I’m looking at getting some new hardware given a disappointing experience with a pretty popular new laptop company. To make a long story short, I’m down one laptop and up about $2,000 Canadian kopeks, looking for options to satisfy my computing needs.

My situation briefly is that I’m a Business Analysis student with a strong interest in computers (probably should have taken Computer Science but c’est la vie). I was having issues running Windows 11 on a Vivobook x415da laptop (BSOD on every boot, watchdog timer violation; maybe AMD drivers. Oddly rock solid under Fedora even with closed source drivers…). This is unacceptable as I needed a reliable Windows machine for school (I cannot run our exam invigilation software on Linux or in VM Windoze). I tried to buy a really nice laptop but it didn’t work out (at all!). With the refund process started, I purchased a Thinkpad T480 (i5-8350u FHD) which will satisfy the Windoze-mobile-repairability aspects of my computing needs. But I need power and reliability.

With the remaining $1,500 (these are Canadian dollars, note. We pay some kind of premium compared to our neighbours to the south as you might deduce from the price of the T480), I think it would be nice to build a desktop which is sufficiently powerful for my needs, and will be modular and upgradeable (so no mini pc’s please! MS-01 looks cool but…).

I like to play with R and python in my spare time… would like to get into machine learning, big data analysis, maybe even LLMs eventually. I also like to do a bit of gaming now and again, but mostly older games (Metal Gear Solid V might be one of the most modern games in my Steam library, i.e. 2015). If I can game with this machine then I can retire an old Elitedesk 800 G1 and turn it into a NAS :smiling_imp: (then maybe it would be nice to reserve a bit of money for some “spinning rust”).

Suppose I want to keep the build down around $1,250CAD. Does AM4 seem reasonable? My dream machine would be something like a Proxmox box that I can spin up a Windows VM for gaming (with GPU pass through??) or school work, and Linux VMs for “real work”… I don’t know if that’s a terrible idea. Could also just dual boot I suppose. Beyond that I’d be open to suggestions, even in a completely different direction, as to how I ought to proceed here.

I was very influenced by this video, worth a watch I think (the title is somewhat misleading):

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read

Maybe this will help?

Concerned mostly about GPU passthrough.

Ryzen 5 5600x
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 (why do they name products like this?)
Powercolor Fighter RX 6600 (open to other budget options, it’s not really a gaming rig per se)
Cheap 32 GB ram.
Storage

I don’t expect to be spinning up multiple VMs at a time, ans the host will be headless. So passing through 2 gpu seems unncessary. From what I read iommu grouping for this board is OK. Maybe there are better options? Is this going to be severely underpowered in a few years?

T480 arrived. Purchased in “excellent condition” from an Amazon certified partner. Oops. I feel like I’ll never have a computer for school work at this point. :worried: Retaining screw here is stripped and won’t close. Input deck is cracked down to the HDMI port. Too bad, was in nice condition otherwise. Back it goes.

Looks good to me.

Asrock product names are a bit weird at times.

Ryzen 5 5600/5600X
Thermalright AXP120-67 or SI-100
AMD Radeon RX66_0XT [RX6700, IF opportunity arises]
OR nVIDIA RTX 3060Ti [IF opportunity arises]
AM4 550 Chipset [min. tier]
2x16GB DDR4 3600
Storage [M.2s / _2.5in]
650W(+) Gold PSU [SFX sizing if needed, for intended case build]
Lian Li 011 Mini Air [iTX-ATX] / Coolermaster NR200 [iTX-SFF]

1 Like

is the 550 ok for GPU passthrough?

Someone pointed out to me the other day that the price of AM4 vs AM5 boards is almost the same in our market… maybe I should just look at AM5? What do you think? I suppose the processor and RAM would be slightly more expensive, but newer better? And possibly more efficient power draw?

I’d say the 550, for the minimum, since the _20 series is severely kneecapped, on such things
X570 would be smidge safer, as the boards can be had, with dual phys x16s [*runs dual x8]
Look up mainboard info, for them extra layer assurances, regarding IOMMU breakdown(s)
Our @Wendell, has some AM4 mainboard reviews, where he discusses such experience(s)

I haven’t kept up with AM5, outside of component pricings, have gotten more manageable
… IF I was looking, to build a fresh AMD rig- I’d be waiting, for them 700 series boards

Ok I did some more looking around and I do not really like the idea of buying AM4 since it doesnt leave much of an upgrade path.

Here is my prospective AM5 build. I want to have some kind of nvidia card for AI and then an AMD card for gaming. I will pass these through to VMs, hence the 8600G is fine, I think?

G-SKU of AMD processors, will reduce L3 cache / PCIe lanes
[due to embedded Phoenix-esque GPU, that would exceed the otherwise 2CUs]
PCIe standard, would also be downgraded, from 5.0 to 4.0
…Better off waiting, on Standard/X tier CPUs to come out

But I think I also lose some lanes by using 7000 series on this board as well… :cry: