How to optimise a PC build for heat output

I wasn’t called The Mad-Develoepr for no reason, lol. Been running on this for years now, best decision I ever made and I would never go back to a conventional setup.

There is no need to use a car radiator, I was just recycling trash my neighbour was throwing out. The upside is it’s so overkill it doesn’t need any active cooling.

6 Likes

All jokes aside you could try dropping GPU power limit a little. That is really good for cutting down on unwanted heat.

2 Likes

How did you figure out my secret identity

I’m thinking something similar, but I was planning on putting a fan on my door and having my window open on the opposite side. With enough airflow from my door I’m hoping it would be cooler in my room.

Also I love the drawing XD

Yeah I’ve used nvidia-smi to half the power limit of my GPU (as far as it goes) and honestly it has made a big difference.

Crossflow from the rest of the house will work fine too! Better even, because the air in the house will have had time to become a bit cooler from being in the shade of the house. Unless the house somehow heats it up before it gets to your room.

If you want more fresh air for some reason (say there might be smells from the house you don’t want in your room) then the window only method works great for that.

In my case sometimes I like my privacy. Especially as I live in an apartment complex and don’t feel it would be appropriate for every passerby to peek inside my rental unit >.>

Glad you liked the drawing! I thought about just trying to describe the setup with words, but i couldn’t come up with a good method that wouldn’t take a massive amount of typing which most people would not want to wade through…

One thing to remember about air, it will try to follow the easiest path, so however you set it up, sealing the fan to force air either into or out of the window is pretty important. Another trick is to angle the fan so the air being pulled into the window will pass by you first and the computer second, that way you get the cooling effect, and the warm air from your pc is picked up and moved out of the room After it passes you first. If the air passes the computer first, it will be a bit hotter, and that would sort of defeat the purpose of using the fan to cool You.

1 Like

yeah I only drop mine by 10-12% and it cuts down on heat from the memory.

Build a chimney outside your window and paint it black. Go outside and place a tube of 20 meter 300 mm plastic 1.5 meter down in the ground with end to the surface! Insulate the tube where it comes in your room. You will be able to get 15 to 20 c of air coming in you room! No electricity.

I don’t know what’s with all the MacGuyver nonsense in this thread.

You have a window, and your only reason for not being able to get A/C is not being able to modify the property.

Just buy a window A/C unit or a portable A/C unit (which I believe come with parts for hooking up to a window).

1. DIY is fun
  2. A/C units come with issues
    a) initial purchase cost
    b) power usage
    c) noise
    d) ugly
    e) window no longer usable as a window.
  3. The convention cooler that @MJG mentioned is pretty much maintenance free, very cheap and has zero running costs.

Just because it’s MacGuyver’d doesn’t make it nonsense. If anything it shows some ingenuity on the part of the person and gives a sense of self-accomplishment to see something you built with your own hands working.

2 Likes

Hey man. If it’s something MacGyver would do you know it’s a good solution.

1 Like

It also doesn’t make it not nonsense.

I do respect good homebrew’d solutions but a lot aren’t very practical and will likely not compare to a cheap window A/C unit.

The convection cooler would need guards to prevent rain from blocking the pipe or getting in the room. Also how much air is going to bypass the room and just get sucked out the chimney. We’re talking about Australia too so it’d need screens to prevent insects getting in.

Just generally none of these are on the same level as just buying a window A/C. Hell even a fan probably won’t save a ton of electricity over one with how efficient they are anymore and would likely be louder.

All solutions here proposed are just that, proposed potential solutions. If there were off topic and/or just plain wrong, then yeah, it’s nonsense, but as they are all on-topic and could potentially be of use to the OP, nothing here is nonsense.

At the end of the day it’s the reader that has to decided what method they wish to use, and giving them all options including an A/C unit or buying a weekly supply of liquid nitrogen are valid solutions to the issue presented.

As for your propsed issues with convection cooling.

1. I am in Australia
  2. I am using such a system to cool an electronics cabinet in a garage
  3. Insect protection is as simple as a bit of fly screen.
  4. Rain is not an issue as the conduit sits under an eave.
1 Like

Please tell me more, wikihow or something?

Is portable AC an option? Those are units which require no fixed mounts, and plug in into a wall socket. They usually come with a few meters of flexible air duct you can just chuck through your window.

You said no AC, but that sound like no fixed AC, which yeah, it’s not always possible.

I was not talking about your personal cooling setup but the cooling setup as described in the comment you referenced.

This whole conversation is based on me half-jokingly coming in here and being surprised that everyone is coming up with complicated solutions and no one had suggested something as simple and common as a window A/C unit.

I’m sorry that my comment offended you, I didn’t mean for this to become an argument.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.