Documenting this now so future me does not need to spend an entire day figuring out how to install jupyter notebook on linux. Hopefully this will be useful for anyone searching on the internet
I was originally going to post this in the small linux problem thread, but it was a long post and I decided this is worth its own thread. Not so much a problem now that I figured it out. but I kept running into this issue when trying to use conda.
conda create WARNING: A directory already exists at the target location '/usr' but it is not a conda environment. Continue creating environment (y/[n])? y CondaValueError: either -n NAME or -p PREFIX option required, try "conda create -h" for more details
I couldn’t figure out how to solve this issue, instead of looking up how to install conda, I instead nuked my fedora installation and reinstalled to fedora 31
later when I reinstalled fedora I ran into the issue again, but this time I didn’t install conda. So after spending a day reinstalling Fedora, I decided to look up how to install conda
this page was the solution.
- download the installer .sh files
- get to the directory where you downloaded the installer files
- I found it easier to use the explorer to the directory right click open this in terminal
- run the bash commands
bash Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh // or if you need anaconda bash Anaconda-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh
- run the command for initializing conda for fish (if you use fish)
conda init fish
boom now you have conda installed.
5. Now that you have anaconda/miniconda installed, you can run the following command to install jupyter notebook
conda install jupyter
- Bonus installing pandas. Jupyter and python is pretty bare if you don’t have any libraries for data analysis. Lets install pandas. In any terminal you want/have init conda, run the following command
conda install pandas