How to get TRIM support on Crucial MX500 SSDs?

I have a bunch of Crucial MX500 SSDs. In Windows, they supported TRIM, so I never thought they wouldn’t on my TrueNAS system.

For some reason, ZFS reports them as being “trim unsupported”. From reading some other places, this is a problem with the LSI 9305 cards I use.

Curious, are there any ways around this? Interposer? Software change? Firmware hack? I’d like to get TRIM working.

If I can’t, anyone know where I can get a bunch of Kioxia SAS SSDs on the cheap or trade over 111 Crucial MX500 SSDs at 2 and 4TB?

I think the issue is that MX500’s don’t support RZAT (read zero afer TRIM).

From broadcom.com page on LSI HBAs:

LSI SAS HBAs with IT firmware do support TRIM, but with these limitations:

The drives must support both “Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)” and “Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM” in their ATA options.

I have a pair of MX500’s on ZFS 2.1 / Linux 6.1.53 on an AMD SATA controller where zpool trim works fine, and they do not support RZAT:

# hdparm -I /dev/sde|grep TRIM
	   *	Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)

(no Deterministic read ZEROs after TRIM line)

so I suspect it is a limitation of the HBA you’re using. Haven’t heard of any firmware hacks for that for LSI cards, but I’d bet that swapping the SSDs with ones that support RZAT would work.

1 Like

My drives show the same thing:

# hdparm -I /dev/sde|grep TRIM
           *    Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)
# hdparm -I /dev/sdbc|grep TRIM
# hdparm -I /dev/sdcb|grep TRIM

So it must be the lack of RZAT that I’m running into.

How can I view the output of zpool trim POOL_NAME? I ran it, and it went to a blank line. No information about “yes, it’s working!”, no progress indicator, nothing.

Are there non-LSI controllers that support less-strict TRIM commands that support 16-24 drives each with miniSAS HD connectors?

I emailed Crucial about it and am talking to Level 2 support. I don’t think they can fix it, but they could definitely report it up to someone that can.

Usually, these things get done only if enough people complain.