How To Get Rid of Dual-Input Noise?

So I bought the Edifier R1700BT a little while back and they have dual input and will play from both of them at the same time, which is awesome because I can be playing my Switch while also having YouTube or Spotify up on my PC. The problem is there’s some noise if I turn the volume up to like a normal level. I don’t like things to be loud, but I also don’t want to keep it super quiet in order to get rid of the noise.

Anyone know a good solution? I’ve already ordered some more substantial cables and that didn’t help. Would a DAC maybe get rid of the noise? I have a feeling the problem is with the speakers themselves, and Edifier basically confirmed that by telling me it’s normal to have some noise especially if I have two inputs running at the same time, so if I can’t fix it that’s fine.

I’m mostly just curious if there’s like a dual-input DAC for around $100 to $150 that can mix the sound, clean it up, and then send it as a single output to the speakers and get rid of the noise. I don’t even know if that’s a thing. I enjoy good sound, but I’m no audiophile.

1 Like

Could be a ground loop. Something like the Behringer HD400 or ART DTI in one of the inputs could be worth a try.

Concerning a DAC
What outputs do you have available from your computer (Toslink, SPDIF, USB, Thunderbolt, etc.), what outputs does the switch have?

1 Like

Toslink, 3.5mm, and USB. Currently running both the Switch and PC from 3.5mm to RCA.

Switch is 3.5mm and some USB.

Speaker only has RCA inputs.

1 Like

My solution involved a makie big knob studio and a usb dac for the switch. The makie then outputs into my amp that I mostly use for headphones, but I also have speakers hooked up to it. You can find a list of switch comatible usb dacs here.
It works pretty well for me. Im not sure a dac would help solve your case. It might.

Do the noises disappear when you turn down your switch sound to zero (on the switch)? Or try to hook up your phone as a different audio source coupled with your pc or your switch at a time to see if its one of the devices or the overall setup.

2 Likes

Yamaha AG03 would work nicely.

USB to computer, 3.5mm from the switch to mono 1/4 jacks, RCA from the AG03 to the Edifier’s.

Would let you use the AG03 for future mic upgrades (or headset use on the PC).

2 Likes

Yes. Basically it only happens when the Switch is playing sound while both are plugged into the speaker.

If I unplug either the PC or the Switch, the noise goes away.

However, if they’re both plugged in and I turn down the volume on the PC, there will still be noise. If I turn down the volume on the switch, the noise goes away.

I would except Apple’s ingenious design & foresight does not allow me to.

That would be a nice simple solution.

That looks like a better option, especially since I could control volume from one board and no longer have to reach behind my monitors to get to the Switch volume rocker.

1 Like

Hey, have you ever solved this?

I’m in the exact same spot, the only difference is that I’m connecting two computers: one PC directly via the provided P2-RCA cable and a Mac through a Focusrite USB interface (Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen, using a USB-C to USB-B cable) via a dual P10-RCA cable I purchased separately.

The noise (a static hiss, not a ground loop hum) can be heard when both inputs are connected, even when one of the devices is turned off.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks.

1 Like

I haven’t, sorry :confused:

I just don’t have the Switch hooked up in the office any more.