How to download Debian images with jigdo and start the installation from a NTFS HDD?

I am trying to download the current bd images for amd64 with jigdo but it does not work at all.
I downloaded the jigdo files:
debian-11.1.0-amd64-BD-1.jigdo
debian-11.1.0-amd64-BD-2.jigdo
debian-11.1.0-amd64-BD-3.jigdo
debian-11.1.0-amd64-BD-4.jigdo

If I try to input stuff after I started the jigdo-lite.bat
it shows weird behavior.
I can’t use the backspace because it acts like a space instead of deleteing stuff left of the cursor.

The batch file exits with the error:
File `debian-11.1.0-amd64-BD-4.template’ does not exist!
For every jigdo file.

Need Help.
Can’t post the Links to the repos I am using thanks to the filter :frowning:

I downloaded the template files which was not documented that you have to do that but it almost worked.
Free space is not the problem.
The 4 Blurays are around 70 to 80GiB.
Need to find a way to start them from a HDD
and there are some problems downloading all files.
But it seems like jigdo finished to assemble the ISO files.
There are some problems with the path depth and jigdo on Windows (MAX_PATH) so make sure you put the jigdo directory directly on the drive / partition and don’t bury it in other directories or it might throw errors.

Anybody knows how to start the installation of debian from a NTFS partition.
No reformatting allowed.

The option is to use a 1GiB SD card to start the network installation.
That definitely did not work, unfortunately.
Can’t find the necessary setting in the advanced graphical installation.

Hey @newdude ,

Hi, jigsaw/jigdo is weird from today’s perspective.

The idea behind it is to save storage space and network bandwidth on mirrors by allowing assembly of DVD images (nobody really uses those anymore) through concatenation of files / packages / archives… because they have the same set of files and packages already available on the mirror.

The only reason why you’d need this, is if you want to bring all the packages with you to some bandwidth deprived place to do an offline installation. It’s an optimisation for the 0.01% of use cases today, and it’s not what you should be doing at home typically.

I don’t know why anyone would recommend it.

Starting up the guided minimal/network installer, and then fetching and extracting onto your disk only fresh packages, and only those packages you need during install is a far more efficient solution.

Please no more about the network installation.
I just want to know how to do the installation from a NTFS partition without formatting it or deleting things on the drive.
It would be an interesting project, looks like it will be a long term project.
I’ll probably make a bootable USB some time in the future and unpack the <80GiB to it.
For that time when I won’t have internet.
The BDs are expensive but it would be an easy solution.

I don’t remember how OTOH, would have to fire up a VM to check, but I think you can try an “expert install” and point the installer at a package repo anywhere at the beginning of the process (e.g. any http or local or even mounted samba share). I think NTFS-3G paths are also supported, but I’m not sure OTOH… probably possible to mount NTFS and mount iso after as well.

I can check this later this evening.

Speaking of VMs, can you boot a VM with access to network and a target drive and install that way?

Would it help if you could build a mirror and bring it with you (you need just under 1T of space for amd64+all archives…)?

Do you have the option of doing a minimal install now and getting rest of the software online later?

Does something like this work for you, to get you started?

BitTorrent
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/11.2.0-live+nonfree/amd64/bt-hybrid/

HTTP
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/11.2.0-live+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/

?

Just to be sure everybody understood what I am trying to do.
I have internet here but I want to start installing offline from a Debian netinstaller ISO on a 1GiB USB stick and use the BD ISO files on a HDD USB drive with NTFS partition that contains the BlurayDisk ISO files in a directory.
How is that possible?
Is NTFS3g included with the net installer?