How to determine Linux Motherboard Compatibility?

Hi,

I’m planning out an AMD computer (for when parts are back in stock :)) build using PopOS as the primary operating system. Right now, the two motherboards I am considering are the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX and the Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME EATX AM4 Motherboards. How do I determine which (or other boards) have the best linux compatibility. Is there a good resource online that someone could recommend for linux hardware compatability?

Thanks!

1 Like

In the last ten years or so I have not run into any motherboards that did not work with Linux.

Although it depends on what you mean by “compatibility.”

Do you need the sensors to work? That could be a problem. If it has RGB you may not be able to control it from Linux. You will certainly not be able to adjust voltage and clock speed from Linux.

I guess some people have run into sound chips or WiFi cards that did not have Linux drivers.

1 Like

Linux compatibility is in the kernel: most drivers are already included in the kernel source and thus available when you install a Linux OS on your new hardware. The only problem you’ll encounter is too new hardware, things that have been released just a short while ago, before the kernel devs had a chance to write code for it. X570 is around long enough not to get in trouble that way, so either main board will work.

Basically more or less in that direction. Sometimes board vendors ignore perfectly functional component of the chipset/CPU for the more gaming/marketed 3rd party component or simply choose to give more PCIe lanes to the slots and then need to supplement the board with the 3rd party components for on-board SATA, USB, LAN, sound.
Sometimes it is just vendor trying to have newer generation of the standard than the chipset offers - a good example is always the USB.

But in general the more the board uses components within the chipset itself the better compatibility.

A specification of the MB usually contains information if given USB/SATA… etc port uses the chipset controller or 3rd party (in such case even the number of the controller is given).

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.