How to best set up hardware; organizing and structuring chaos

This is both a question thread and continuation of The Grand Reformat thread. Though I am working on myself as well, so I won’t be posting a whole shit load. About to potebtially restart HRT and such, so yeah I’ll probably post when I can

—————————

As some of you know my parents are hoarders. A number of years ago I wanted out and my activity has been sporadic since, but I wanna get back to content that ppl enjoyed and do youtube stuff on top of it, hopefully.

I have a lot of machines, but trust me I have a HELL of a lot less than I used to. However now I just need to organize them to do what I want them to do, or sell them off and get shit later. Often in my life getting shit later isn’t an option, so I’ll count what I have left as a blessing.

I know I want to do yt, editing, I want some machines to build code, I want some machines for just fucking around, and one or two are appliances like a firewall. Outside of that, its out of my house.

My first worry is my desktop. Its X79, and currently has an E5-1620 in it that overclocks okish to about 4.45. But I also have a 2690v2 that works in the board, minus overclocking. I want to stream, game, run vtube software, record audio and video, have browsers open, and maybe run a few vms, all at once. Is a 4 core gunna choke on that? I feel like it is….

Next, my thinkpad needs a new battery. Will modifying pstates help at all?

Next, I have 2 servers. I really only intend to use my R510 on the reg as I can stuff storage in it like nobodies business, but idk if I should keep the R620 or not. I don’t need boof right now, and when I do I have a 3900X I can build out if I need to. Seems like a sell, but I have had a thought.

My PPC machines that I am keeping will be building big endian packages for voidPPC. However, when packages are built and archived and need an update because of one little teeny edit, maybe a dependency updated, I don’t want to chock up my 2 or 3 cores on each build stack with packages they just built. I was thinking use the R620 and its 2690v2 it has left, the other is pulled for my desktop, and build shit in parallel so shit updated like that. Buuuuut idk hiw much that would actually work.

Next, I have 2 mac pros. I want to use one as a firewall because I can’t afford nice nics. They have 2, I need 2, perfect. I guess first question is do I get to use firewire networking in linux, but second is I have 16gb ram in my 1,1 and 64 in my 3,1. I want to run pfsense in a vm, and potentially other things in vms. Which mac pro would be easier to use for this do yall think? This is from a hacker perspective, not a desktop perspective. I am thinking about the efi affecting reboots, how the controllers talk to each other and if pop_os or void would choke on it, whatever. If theres a reason to use one over the other, tell me.

Next, I have a dell xps g5 I named Koga. I love it. But I want a better proc in it. Namely, I want hyperthreading and 3mb L2 minimum. Are there any 775 P4’s that fit that that work with 925XE chipsets? As well, does anyone know of a hack to be able to overclock on this board? Its suck a waste of a chipset and beef ass vrm. It even says in he manual that dell doesn’t like overclocking because blah blah blah liability issues.

Like shuuuut up dell

Lastly, I have laptops that are coding intrigues for me. I want to learn to code, and at that on multiple platforms. I can botch shit together like a pro, but to make something start to finish would be so cool. However, I have…. A number of thhem now. Not a lot, 3 or 4, but what if I want another machine? I don’t want to ditch any of them rly, but I would wonder about what ones to trash when the time came to get a pinebook or the talos mobile, god forbid.

——————

I guess rando other questions

When you have an idea but you don’t know how to start with it, what do you do to get towards that next step?

When something like a coding bug seems impossible, what do you do to not go in a deathspin over it?

Since my basis in tech is basically just older tech, how do I overcome the slight anxiety hurdle when I get something new that has SO MUCH MORE than what I had before?

Thx

Find someone willing to lend me 10 minutes of their day and explain what the part that causes me trouble is supposed to do. Usually by that time, I will figure out what it was acting up.

Alternatively, clean slate.