How the heck do i download Debian Testing (Buster)

my opensuse leap 15 system is f#£@ed again 6th time this year , i am SICK of it… Its monday tomorrow. i m PANIKING! I just want debian testing live disk, i am PANICKING
I CANNOT FIND IT, DEBIAN SITE IS SO $H£†* ( alpha1 2 3, weekly, daily, live , torrent, cd dvd exp wtf)

PLEASE HELPPPP URGENYLY

i am going testing because last time i tried stable (jessie) in 2016, it was way too old and obsecure. Is the current stable (stretch) the same?. remember Buster is pretty ready now & ready to be released as stable mid 2019.

WHERE DO I DOWNLOAD BUSTER LIVE DISK?!?! “L I V E”

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/buster_di_alpha3/amd64/iso-cd/

1 Like

the sad thing with debian is they have gotten a bit too big!
any different sites that host debian distros tend to point directly to debians website, and finding what you want can be a hassle.
many sites depend on ftp style format of their download pages and it can be confusing.
dont get me wrong they are still a great and powerful series of distros. but they are designing their sites around linux pros instead of the general public.

Debian doesn’t have a single installer image. There’s dozens of them, depending on exactly what you want.

Most laptop and workstation users want the unofficial LiveCD images with firmware and non-free drivers enabled. You can find those images here.

If you prefer to do a minimal install, the curses-based debian-installer is available on those images as well. The default session is a graphical desktop, but at boot time the lighter installer is a selectable option.

Debian’s an awesome distro, but their documentation is garbage, especially the “Getting Debian” section.

yur link is weekly. i dont want weekly.

Your options for LiveCDs are are weekly, daily, an old alpha1 release, or “not Debian Buster”. You have a few more options if you don’t want a LiveCD, but there’s no such thing as a stable release of Debian Testing.

Debian Buster hasn’t been released yet, and is currently Debian Testing. Testing is never released, it simply becomes the next stable.

I typically “upgrade” to testing. There’s documentation here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

1 Like

beside all the confusion, i did a more cleaner netinstall. I was looking for live disk with lxqt but its not ready yet. Anyway, Thanks @Goalkeeper for saving my day

1 Like

Follow the link risk posted.

There is an installer for debian testing but you should not use it to install testing as funny as that may sound. That installer is for testing the installer, not the OS.

The supported way to get Buster/testing is to first install debian Stable then edit your apt sources and replace references to stable with buster or testing. I’d recommend buster, that way you will not be automatically upgraded to testing again once buster releases, but instead remain on buster until you feel the need to upgrade again.

Stretch isn’t that that bad if your application needs are modest. You can usually install the latest kernel, gfx drivers and newer apps on a case by case basis via backports too.

Buster might become more unstable up until the freeze since people will rush to get packages in then fix breakages after the fact. Whilst I’ve run testing for some years without issue, I still prefer to be on Stable unless there’s really no other option.

I’d install stable and try it out for a bit, see what apps you really need newer versions of and whether they’re in backports. You need to do that to upgrade to testing/Buster anyway so may as well see if you really need to be on Buster prior to it becoming stable.

stop nonsense

? Not sure what you mean. That info on the testing installer is accurate. Go ask in the official Debian irc channel and you’ll receive the same information. Or read https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

The reliable way to install testing from scratch is to do a minimal installation with the stable installer, then upgrade from stable to testing (see below).

Alternatively, you could use the testing image of the debian-installer, but note that the testing installer is more for testing the installer than for installing testing. Bugs in the testing installer should be filed against the debian-installer pseudopackage.

The reason is simply that the testing installer is considered less reliable until release as it’s a work in progress. The stable installer is a known quantity.

Can you install using it, sure, there’s nothing stopping you installing testing via the testing installer (or nightly/weekly builds), but you have to keep in mind that any given build of that installer may be broken in non obvious ways. Chances are it will be fine, but that doesn’t change the recommendation that you install stable first then upgrade. It also makes life easier if you need to seek out help in the debian support channels.

https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

“weekly” bd is giant (21GB), dvd first only(4GB) ---------- --------------------[LIVE]
“weekly” cd are net-install (400MB) + (netinstall ~400MB) ----------[NOT LIVE]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------with xfce–[LIVE]
“daily” are all net-install -----------------------------------------------------[NOT LIVE]
“debian-installer” is net-install --------------------------------------------[NOT LIVE]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------with xfce–[LIVE]

…In this mayhem of daily, weekly, cd, dvd, bd, net-inst, installer …the recommended way to upgrade would be to upgrade from your “stable” distribution (not from “old-stable”)

But To do a Fresh install (if you don’t plan to use xfce), “debian-installer -net-install” would be the best

Which would be the most minimal install believe me.
I did a fresh install

p.s i still dont know whats the difference between weekly-cd-net-install ( debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso ) and debian-installer-net-install (debian-buster-DI-alpha3-amd64-netinst.iso) is.

Notice the naming difference testing & Buster. Potential Release Candidate ?

This explains testing vs buster terminology: https://www.debian.org/releases/ .

Do you want a rolling release for yourself to use, or are you a developer and want to jump the gun and make sure your code is compatible with the next stable before it’s out?

1 Like