How much to ditch in new W11pro install - for home server?

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 v5 @ 3.50GHz
Current: 1601 MHz, Max: 3500 MHz
8 CPUs : 1 package(s) x 4 core(s) x 2 hardware threads
AES-NI CPU Crypto: Yes (active)
QAT Crypto: No
Hardware crypto AES-CBC, AES-CCM, AES-GCM, AES-ICM, AES-XTS
Kernel PTI Enabled
MDS Mitigation Inactive
Uptime 72 Days 07 Hours 55 Minutes 43 Seconds

On a asrack mini itx board.

1 Like

In the past I’d just recommend Ubuntu (Server) for any beginner. But seeing all the snap crap Ubuntu has been shoving at its users for at least 2 major releases, I wouldn’t recommend it anymore.

I also wouldn’t recommend Proxmox for beginners, because it’s somewhat difficult and might require some mental gymnastics.

In the past, I’d also recommend TrueNAS (Scale, as the FreeBSD one seems to be deprecated?), but at least 25.04 has been a sht show - so probably not. However: unless you need VMs, TrueNAS is a one-stop-show and worked quite reliably.

You might want to give OpenMediaVault a try. Or bite the bullet and learn a bit about Proxmox and settle for that. However: unless you run pretty much all services in LXC or bare metal Docker (which is discouraged), you’ll eventually face issues in passing through your media files into VMs (LXCs are much simpler in this regard, but they might not satisfy your security related separation as these containers still use the same kernel from the host).

I solved the issue of passing directories through by using VirtioFS. However: there is a performance penalty, albeit arguably less than NFS or other network filesystems.

I bit the bullet and went with Proxmox after being unhappy with Alpine as my host OS due to it using musl compiler and having DNS issues and after TrueNAS Scale 25.04. Depending on the virtualization you want, there are potentially more specialized solutions, but you always need to take the reliability of a distro into account.

I also automated most of the setup using Terraform for reproducibility, but I definitely wouldn’t recommend it for beginners.

Sorry, I haven’t read all the posts, so if I missed something, just ignore this post.

1 Like

Good Distros can survive multiple major release upgrades.
I had an OpenExchange installation running on OpenSuse from 2008 to 2016.
I think it was from OpenSuse 10.x to 13.2, my rolling release installations, never get that old.

1 Like

I haven’t ever tried proxmox, but Debian with virtualbox or something is pretty trivial to set up.

Also never tried emby or jellyfin in a VM / LXC container… not sure how much of a pain in the butt that is with transcoding

I’ve been running Ubuntu server for a while, with 4-6 VMs on top of it and a few services bare metal (nextcloud, jellyfin, mythtv.) It’s survived updating to the latest LTS each time so far, 2 years apart, with no major intervention needed.

2 Likes

If you can have all that running under one OS and haven’t managed to break something along the way, you surly have the skills to take advantage of a proxmox setup, and should most def give it a whirl!

I run lots of ubuntu servers each with its own purpose. When I break one, it is god send that they are all seperate. Makes learning the hard way not that hard. :slight_smile:

Come back here if you do try proxmox and have any troubles at all. If I can’t help you, somone here can!! :smiley:

1 Like

ROFL. I can’t even list all the shit I’ve broken. My apache config is so ridiculous I’m not sure I could recreate it again without an entire weekend to burn learning how it all works again (thanks, nextcloud. Not to mention all the changes you have to make for sane php performance and whatnot with nextcloud…)

It is all working at the moment… except for collabora integration.

I always said I’d switch to pure debian or try proxmox, but then the one time I irredeemably borked it (2023?) I spent a whole weekend bringing it back up as fast as I could on Ubuntu. I had backups, but due to bad hygiene and overly aggressive recent pruning, they were not helpful that time.

I suck!!

3 Likes

But you fixed it!

I recently started my nextcloud journey with nextcloud AIO in a VM, I have already broken it once but the way you can snapshot things means a bad day doesn’t turn into a wasted weekend.

Rather than migrating, why not spin up a small proxmox setup and start messing around. Spin up one service at a time. Use it just to test stuff without consequence :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This.

in 2025 linux runs a lot of games better, browsing is massively faster and you’re going to be free of all the Windows shitware by default.

2 Likes

It’s not that complicated.

To start off:

  • download ubuntu 24.04 - its a very well supported distribution aimed to be user friendly
  • install it
  • figure out how to use it (should be friendly enough for you to be on the internet with a fully working system inside of an hour or two even with nvidia GPU)
  • once you learn what you like/dislike about Ubuntu, as you get more confident, explore other distributions in a VM inside of “Boxes” and then consider switching.

You
don’t
need
to
make
it
complicated

back up your stuff, download a distro and go. I just chose for you, enjoy!

(i’ve been running linux on/off in various situations including as a network professional since 1998, and I’m typing this from an ubuntu desktop. it mostly just works)

edit:
didn’t realize how long this thread had already gone, so you chose Debian. congrats, you may find things a little trickier or annoying on desktop (server is fine), but have at it!

4 Likes

To be continued here: