How much memory should windows 10 used at idle?

I'm currently working on my wife's computer, and I've come across something weird. her system is currently, with no programs running, sitting at 3.9 gigs of ram used. is this normal?

I think it depends on the total ram you have. With only 4GB I would be very surprised. With 24, less so. Still, does seem very high for idle. Background tasks? Indexing/ prefetch/ unreleased memory from closed programs?

In my opinion.
All of it.
The is should prefetch as bloody much of your boot disk as possible

1 Like

3.9 Gigs seems high but it depends.

When Windows 7/8/10 starts, it looks at how much RAM you have and locks down a protective "Memory Bubble." That way Windows running in the bubble won't crash the whole PC if one program or driver crashes. I have 16 GB RAM and I typically use between 3-4 GB.

Mine uses 15% of ram at idle and I have 8gb. So 1.2gb. But I run a pretty bare bones version of Windows 10 with all the useless junk uninstalled and turned off. I don't know how your wife's computer is set up.

mine uses 700M at idle but then i cut it deep. Because ms is asshole.

do you remember when win2000 used less than 100mb?
I remember.

do you remember how people whined when vista used more than 1-3GB memory?
I remember.

do you remember dos used less than 64kb memory?
I remember

do you remember himem?
I remember.

ermm ... how much?

Yes, you read that right. 480MB

What did you do to it and teach me how to do it. Unless it involves getting rid of visual style and going back to Win 95 look.

nah, you disable most of services, remove cortana including files, remove windows update service and couple more things...

Yeah I did all of that. What would those "couple more things" be? :)

Jealous :) norm for me was 580 to 700 depending how i was using it. 580 being the best i ever seen and still stable.

windows defender service / network
tile data model server
task scheduler
remote ~
windows firewall
iphelper (removed ipv6 part)
event log
wired autoconfig
dhcp client
device assositation service
bfe

and others like xb and shit liek that which were either disabled or manual.
anything not required for dx12 to function is either removed or disabled. Haven't update since like October 2015

yeah after reading this and seeing over 65 - 70 running possesses on her system I' m confident that I need to reinstall. yay! maybe I can convince her to go over to Linux, if only final fantasy 14 ran on Linux...