How many usb ports do you use?

A while ago I looked it up and realised my motherboard have
4x 3.2 gen 2
6x 3.2 gen 1
5x 2.0

I use
4x 2.0 for keyboard, mouse, and so on. I write fast but I’m not gonna need a 3.2 for my keyboard.
1x 3.2 gen 2 for charging watch, sending files, connect a hard drive once in a while.

How many of the usb ports do you have, and how many of them do you use.

1 x 2.0 for USB Audio DAC

1 x 3.0 for DAS keyboard
1 x 3.0 for SATA HDD Dock
1 x 3.0 for Monitors built in dock (Mouse and Webcam go here)
1 x 3.0 for Logitech USB Headset

They may be 3.1 or 3.2, hell if I know!

I remember the days when which board had the most USB was king, now I struggle to fill all the ports!

I could probably ditch the DAC, I got it a long time ago when the on-board audio had some horrible interference, and its just been there under my desk for so long that it would be so much work to re-route the cables.

1 Like

A couple for mouse and keyboard, one for the monitor lamp, one for the webcam and one for the DAC. I was using one for the UPS aswell, but it was making it act weird so I reverted the UPS to a “dumb” unit. I should also connect the monitor I’m using to it to access the PiP feature, but I didn’t come around to do that yet.

4x USB 2.0 (Mouse, Keyboard, AudioInterface, Drawing Tablet)
1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 (External M.2 enclosure)
1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 as Type C going to my Hub (Webcam, 3 open ports)

USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 Gen 1 = USB 3.2 Gen 1

1 Like

I am sure we had this discussion few months back in the lounge.
So far, USB 4 seems to be more sane with the exception that there are some systems out there that do USB4 + Thunderbolt 3 and others that do USB4 + TB3 + TB4.

Is there a keyboard that can surpass USB 2.0. speeds even? Like, theoretically even.

I have my two screens connected as they have usb hubs built in. To one of them nothing gets plugged in ever the other one is for keyboard and mouse as my PC is too far away otherwise. Adapter for wireless mic, a dac, a Bluetooth adapter, switch joycon charger and then ‘just a bunch of cables’ to connect phones and charge the mic. Pretty unspectular I would say.

Having a bunch of USB controllers (not ports) can be useful though. Sometimes stuff works on one but not the other for magical USB reasons.

1 Like