How many linux users on Tek Syndicate?

Fedora, Manjaro, Zorin, Kali and Debian here

Recent times, 18mo., has been Arch with Spectrwm on desktop, and CentOS on server box to learn, otherwise its been Debian since "Woody."

ubuntu 13.10 with xfce DE. looking forward to 14.04 so I cant reinstall to a LTS Xubuntu version. 

Also checked out a distro named manjaro which was referenced in this thread, looks sexy :)

While I use Windows as my primary OS, I do use CentOS for my final year project.

Forgot I use Kali on a USB for trouble shooting.

I'm a boring old Ubuntu user. Though I have played with some Gentoo distros.

I started with Ubuntu on my netbook (first generation Atom) 4 years ago because Windows XP slowed it down to nearly unusable levels. My friends father had Linux knowledge and let me know about that world. I was so happy to have a working machine. I got that little thing to play videos and emulators as well as take all my notes. Since then, I have slapped that name on all the other machines I could get my hands in. I have also learned that my favorite interface is LXDE, I am a big fan of Thunar file manager, GUI tools are awesome, but CLI is more perfect, some software I really want is vaporware and more is buried knowledge (I can not find it or how to make it work.), Windows is imperfect due to poor project management whereas Linux is imperfect due to scarce funds (most hope for the future), and everything I want Windows to do (other than play a specific game) is done better in Linux.

My personal project is a little server that started as just Minecraft for my friends and has grown to include Mumble, XMPP (Think Libre Skype. I use the Jitsi client), SSH/SFTP, and Starbound. I am also slowly learning PFSense, Arch, CentOS, XEN, and OpenStack. If you have the know, I have the how and am willing to share. :)

For anyone who is interested, an alternative to using Flash libraries. - Viewtube.

Viewtube is a Greasemonkey script utilising native media players and hardware acceleration.

I use it with VLC and have never had any issues.

I refuse to install Flash on any of my machines for obvious reasons  :P

1 Like

I'm on Xubuntu right now, but I plan on switching to Manajro once they hit version 1.0.  In order I used Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Mnajaro, and then Xubuntu.

The question is a bit specious as I "daily drive" from many places in my home and transparently use Linux based systems constantly.  Computers in office, kitchen, garage, But on a daily basis I will use an Ubuntu and CentOS machine.and my router is FreeBSD. With that I have 5 linux based DD-WRT WAPs all over the house I'll carry my iPad and laptops along into the living areas as well.  But I keep an XP, Vista and Win7 (desktop and loptop) boxes running all the time too.  

I use Debian 7.3.0 PowerPC box.

does my android count? sometimes i open up terminal emulator.

Arch + awesome WM + acer C720 chromebook -- best money ever spent

desktop is dual boot Manjaro,KDE/W7
ultrabook is manjaro KDE(with powertop i can get about 6-7 hour battery life with W8 it was only about 3-4)
and i have another desktop that i use for experiments that i'm not afraid to break. it currently has CentOs and manjaro xfce which i'm not sure i really like xfce yet. CentOs is running a gnome desktop.

XFCE on a Samsung Chrome Book :P

i use it on my laptop. mint 16 cinnamon. i had my desktop dual booted but took that off. my server runs on ubuntu. i do quite a bit of coding on linux. mostly in java but working on C++

lubunutu opensuse debian (winxp/7 in kvm for games and legacy software)

if you don't limit your question to desktop, i would say that everybody uses Linux, because outside of the desktop Linux dominates.

Using Arch Linux with XFCE on my desktop and Manjaro XFCE on the faptop.

Windows is not allowed on my computers anymore.

+1.

Flash is just a mess and a liability.

I just use a little script that I've put on a macro, for when I want to watch a video on YT or somewhere else that is only available in flash. That just runs youtube-dl on the URL and plays it back with VLC.

There used to be minitube, but I think development has ceased on that application. That was great though, because it also took the hassle and google spam out of youtube.

Maybe wendell can run a poll? He's hosting the website, isn't he?

Running debian on lappy. Use it for normal web browsing and media, on occasion I'll use it for game streaming from the winderp workstation. I really like arch, but debian booted and came back from sleep faster. I'll keep using it for now, then switch to something, maybe arch when it matures more.