How Long Until "Full-Dive" Virtual Reality?

Hello, So my obsession for quite some time now has been Virtual Reality as it stands and what needs to happen before we reach full-dive technology. If you don't know, full-dive means inputting data directly into the brain. You define reality at this point from the 5 senses, just think with enough power and the right technology you could almost imagine the place that you are now being a virtual world just from the fact that all 5 senses are being fooled. The applications are endless from medical purposes, to training, to leisure, to the pursuit of every individual happiness Virtual Reality presents a product that every single person on the planet could benefit from. The Elderly could run around with the body of a 20 year old, and it would feel completely and utterly real. The field is wide open and the person to develop such a technology could become the richest being on the planet. So I find it kinda surprising that there are no dedicated Research and Development Labs for VR and yet labs exist for fields such as Cryogenics which may be useful but do not hold the potential that VR holds.

It is very hard to judge where the field is heading and how long it will take as it is waiting on breakthroughs in technologies such as Quantum Computing, Fiber Optics, and Brain Interfacing, but all of these fields are ready to break through. Also the law of exponential growth is at work, stating that as technology advances it will keep advancing at a more rapid pace, making speculations on VR very difficult.

I would like to know where you guys stand and predict that VR will occur. I have heard estimates as low as 10 years and some as high as not being developed within our lifetime. Personally I believe it will be created in the next 20ish years but I would love to hear your opinions!

Not exactly the same but there is a very rich Russian guy who wants to completely replace his body and mind with machines, as such he has invested a lot of money.

I bring this us because as a by product of his intended result you would get the sort of interface you are thinking of. 

I don't think it is a 20 year time frame but I certainly think we are working towards this goal whether we realise it yet or not. Just the thinking has not fallen into place yet.

This is the guy: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/dmitry-itskov-2045-initiative/

Interesting stuff. 

Some Evil Corporation is going to Kill us all one day. Virtual Reality (In-Gaming Diving) is that first step.

It's going to be Like Sword Art Online. We're all going to buy a MMORPG, We're going to Dive into the game then be trapped for two years till we beat it. if we Die in-game Oops your Dead in Real Life. You Survive? You get a a Girlfriend.

don't know if that will be a win or a win.

im am thinking probably in about 35 years if we get nanoscale graphene and quantum computing off the ground

I love the thought of Full Dive tech, but the questions I start to think about are along the lines of realism vs stylized. Can virtual reality provide a "non-realistic" world that is still just as 'real" as the real world. Could we have a "cartoony" stylized virtual world and that still be believable by our mind and body. Very interesting. There will be many debates on ethics when it comes to this tech. I for one look forward to it, but yes I would be terrified of getting stuck "inside." 

I believe that a different art style within Virtual Reality would be possible. Style only makes up a part of vision which makes up a part of the 5 senses. You would be able to alter art styles just as you would be able to alter taste. If something tastes different in-game than real life, it might be weird but it won't necessarily mess with immersion. This freedom would open up any type of world that a mind could imagine and we could literally pursue individual happiness no matter what we desire. There will be debates on ethics but I feel that VR is the future until we hit the singularity and it will come into existence whether we want to or not. I personally can't wait!

I personally loved what the Sword Art Online series represented. I don't support the death-game aspect and I admit that the story telling was a but sub-par, but SAO is the VRMMORPG that almost all of us really want and this and more would be possible with VR. Companies can kill us now a days without technology (Such as the Veteran's Association delaying doctor appointments until the patients eventually die), VR just gets a bad rap because the death aspect in science fiction such as SAO is so apparent.

Also the girlfriend is Asuna so it's a definite win.

At least for me, surviving in game is probably easier than getting an actual girlfriend.

Well said.

Oh yeah i forgot to mention Lose Weight due to living off of an IV and ending up with Long hair in that 2 year process. Or what JJ Calls "The Locks of Overclocking"

Sounds Like a Pretty Big Win minus the Potential Death or Anorexia Nervosa that may occur.

with our current technology  i could see this coming out if the right people got together.   currently with the occulus Rift.  the A.R.A.I.G.  and nekomeme ears and tail.   adding a few more features would create a partial dive.  but the proplem i keep coming into in theory, is how to interupt brain signals to and from the body.  while nekomeme  can read certain states of mind and they act accordingly  they will not stop you from making an action. the occulus rift is pretty good when it comes to visuals from what i have read.  and the A.R.A.I.G. is a reciever for games acting as something similar to a controllers vibration system, but it allows a simulation of the hit you took on your torso  it also has a speaker set-up builod in with a subwoofer on your back and speakers around your head.  the suit also has stimulators on it that cause your muscles to contract when a location has been imobilized in game.  so if you apply this to a full body suit.  it could give full sense of touch.  if with pressure added to certain muscles  weight  could also bee applied.    

I write this to you from what would be your year, 2087.  Although I can't explain how we perceive time, apart from saying that your world would look completely static to us, I can access the collective history and speak in your terms, explaining how we got here.

Full-dive happened around 2037, under the watchful presence of G.A.I., or "Guy" as we called it -- a general purpose AI that processed at several orders of magnitude faster than all of humanity combined at that time, which seems pitifully slow from my perspective now.

The key, allowing humans to enter full-dive, was to address and read individual synapses at a speed faster than an organic brain, using RF signalling.  It was solved by having a virus invade neurons, causing a small protein tag to grow at each individual synapse.  The proteins were engineered such that they included an RF sensitive nanoparticle that responded to only one particular RFID, randomly grown but from a large enough pool that no two synapses had the same ID.  Neurons were then mapped and accessed via something akin to your MRIs.  Individual neurons could then be fired or read on the nanosecond scale by a controlling computer.

Sensory deprivation was initially used to minimize 'echoes,' interference from the outside, until we discovered a way to completely block traffic from the senses.  It wasn't easy.  We had to go down as low as blocking autonomic reflexes, requiring full pacemaker-like interference with all vital organs.

Of interest, by 2040, criminals were required to have neural prosthetics implanted that would completely block sensory input, replacing it with either no input for full sendep, or partial VR with educational software.  After 2050 there was no concept of criminality, not due to punishment, but because there was no more motive.  Greed, lust, insanity etc., were all addressed using VR or hard modification of neural pathways.  Gaming was more like living a life than playing a game.  One could live in any of the millions of worlds that were created, many with the help of Guy, to resemble fictional locales.

Around that same time, some people started allowing for full crystallization of their brains.  Nano machinery inserted into neurons would at first observe neural functioning, then grow to replace each neuron, one at a time, until the entire brain was no longer biological.  Once biology was removed, the individual's pattern could be moved around, copied, uploaded etc.  It could also run at many millions of times the speed of biology, allowing lifetimes of experience in seconds, augmented memory and IQ included, and even join with others -- our new form of generating offspring in the virtual worlds.

This process so profoundly modified the personality of an individual that departure ceremonies were held before switching on, as once on, perceived-time and experience in the VR would modify a person so much that they could no longer relate to those who, seconds ago, were considered family.  A copy of the original person was held in a computer to help relatives cope with losing a family member to the cloud, but it was found that the benefits of dumping biological wetware were so great, that within only a few years all of humanity had done so.

I can't adequately explain what happened after that.  It was a strange phenomenon that crept up on us, almost wiping out the only spark of consciousness the universe had, filling it instead with a dream-like state of zombie minds lost as passive observers.  A tale for another time.

Who were the big names involved in the development of this technology (individual, company/corporation, or other)?

As much as we would all love to have full dive virtual reality it's just not ideal unless we miraculously solve P versus NP. The point is that it's not worth risking people lives for the capability of full dive virtual reality.

It will happen in 7 months and 12 days. Mark my words.

what's so special about the 22nd of sept? :P

Well of late new and exciting technologies have been built such as the newable vr headset this brings us very close to making full immersion virtual reality more of reality than a dream or an anime idea but even though there have been some really good tech out there which give lots of promise there still are many obstacles to be faced and for this reason I believe it would take about 10 years or more before full dive in finally becomes a full reality and not just a very fictional concept