How do you verify RAM functionality nowadays? (debian)

a decade ago, before EFI i remember simply doing apt install memtest86 and then booting into it with grub was enough.

today, on my AGESA system, this doesnt work. regardless of my CSM setting.neither memtest86 nor memtest86+ function. just a black screen. system becomes completely unresponsive. have to physically power cycle the machine. tried both with CSM on and again with it off. same result. ive read that memtest86 (and plus) simply do not support EFI systems.

what is the current-day modern method of verifying the functionality of ALL system memory?

Try memtester.

1 Like

from memtester’s manpage

Note that the maximum amount of memory that memtester can test will be less than the total amount of memory installed in the system; the operating system, libraries, and other system limits take some of the available memory.

i want to test all of my system memory in one go. idk if the host can or cant be running for it. i basically want feature-parody with memtest86+.

Not sure of any alternatives other than what you found.

1 Like

I was able to boot a usb with memtest86 by choosing the boot override and selecting the usb device.
Not a smooth easy experience. Had to fiddle with it, but it worked and after the test was complete removing the usb device booted ‘normally’ into windows again. Did need to turn off the override to prevent black screens etc when I didn’t want to test.

1 Like

Have you tried a serial console and safe-mode?

How about downloading the very latest version:
https://www.memtest.org/

The free & open source versions do not support booting from UEFI, but they work on UEFI system that have legacy boot options. Those which don’t can install SeaBios as a UEFI CSM.

The commercial version of memtest86 ONLY supports UEFI booting.

I haven’t run into a case where I couldn’t get memtest86+ working.

Memtester does a good job as well, it just take a little effort on your part to specify the memory size.

There is also PCMemTest, but note the keyboard issue with UEFI:

And the Linux kernel has a memtest feature as well:

1 Like

my system has no serial interface.
i have tried both memtest86 and memtest86+.
i did also try downloading memtest86 from that website.

no matter what CSM settings i use, its just a black screen. sometimes i may get lucky and memtest86 will give me a beep, but never any output.

i will look into that option built-into the kernel. sounds like my best bet.

Well, IPMI serial-over-lan works without a physical serial port. And PCIe RS-232 cards are inexpensive… I personally wouldn’t risk any of my systems being without real serial ports, but that’s just me.

PCMemTest is now the basis for developing Memtest86+ v6.0.

The first binary beta release is planned for April (along with a new memtest.org website) and a first production-ready stable release this summer.

The list of features being added looks great… Multiple keyboard methods, serial console, smp command-line, hardware info, etc.

And they’re asking for any willing testers and bug reports.

I create a bootable drive with only memtest86+ on it and use that. I’ve never had a problem with it yet.
NOTE! The one on passmark’s site is basically stolen from the original memtest86, they took the original open source software and slapped their name on it added a few random ‘features’ and started charging for it’s features and calling it their own. Passmark are basically thieving corporate butt-heads when it comes to what they did to the original memtest86.
I use the open free version.
https://memtest.org/

Here are some basic files for creating a bootable usb thumbstick drive. https://memtest.org/#downiso

Then go into your machine’s bios, set it to try booting from the usb first, then plug the newly created bootable usb drive in with memtest on it, then reboot your machine.

I usually set it to run one of the comprehensive tests on a loop and then let it go overnight. If I come back in the morning and there are no errors, then it’s fine. If there is 1 error, that’s typically not a big deal. But if I see a string of errors, especially the same error repeating, then I know the ram is bad.