How Do You Type? (Poll)

The most valuable skill I learned was touch typing with 10 fingers.

• I use my right thumb for space bar.
  • I use my left pinky for Shift.
  • I never use Caps Lock. “Who on Earth would?” is my usual thought when I consider doing it. Remembering to press a key is harder for me than letting go of a key. Holding Shift puts my ring finger right where it needs to be to press QAZ if I’m typing. It just seems efficient. Stretching to press 6 to get a ^ isn’t hard at all.

Semi-related: Hold to Aim-Down-Sights in an FPS, or Click? I click. It’s the opposite for me in that situation.

• I use my right pinky for enter.

I selected “Semi-strict” because I still don’t have the 1-0 row memorized 10+ years later, along with the other special symbols ({}[]|, etc). I usually get them right, but I sometimes have to hunt for special symbols and use my left index finger until I find it (because holding Shift locks down one hand, and so I switch to the right instead).

On most typing tests, I can push 100+ WPM after I warm up and if I’m listening to music. If I’m not either of those, I vary between 80 and 100 WPM.

I believe the fastest I’ve hit is 130+WPM but that was a one-off where I got in a groove and got lucky with a lot of things.

Note: I correct all typos, so even if I typo, I don’t just leave it be. I backspace on my typing tests to get near 100% accuracy. So I guess with typos it’d be something like that 130 WPM.

Something like qywyxexccr5rvt6bzz8unimpo,.p.l,oijinuhbzgvftcdcxrsexsywq<aqwswxercrvtbuzbinjmjomkpl,pl.öü-öü-+üüöplopopiiujinubgvfzcdcrxrxesxsexr

1 Like

Dis bitch

4 Likes

Still find it funny that Mavis Beacon is not a real person.

2 Likes

Agreed. It doesn’t make any sense to me, unless I’m going to be typing long strings where everything is going to be upper-case, and even then most of the times I’d rather just hold down left shift.

1 Like

Usually I just click the like button or cut copy and paste a meme

2 Likes

I took typing in school with a mechanical typewriter… 80 words a minute… if I could spell I would have gotten closer to 120 wpm. Then I developed my own nitch in typing.

I wold like a keyboard that requires the force of a strike from a dead blow hammer.

I am completely self taught, just did the linked test and I average 94WPM with an accuracy of 97%.I rarely ever rest my hands on the home keys, they just sorta randomly sit where ever they were last.

I think I identify my location on the keyboard more by location from the left bottom edge, which makes typing on a laptop keyboard a little slow until I get located and comfortable.

Mind you I don’t agree that this is a valid test for someone that works in tech as it doesn’t include extra characters that are used in programming, such as curly braces, square brackets, underscores, carats, etc…

I took typing class in high school, but I had free study hall right before it.
I was stoned most of the time.

I type the right way, but I have to look at my fingers = bad habit.
Especially online because often I write long posts without looking up only to find I didn’t type anything because my mouse moved off of the window.
:rage:

I type B with my right hand like a rebel.

1 Like

I wansn’t very fast at typing until I had to do an assignement in a really short time so I started typing as fast as I could and now I’m here sitting at an unknown WPM level because my concentration is all over the place so I’m very inconsistent with my typing.

I glance from time to time at the keyboard but I can find my way without looking at it most of the time. Also I need accented letters for my language so I have muscle memory for those keys too. My left hand is the better one at handling more keys since I’m lefty. I’ve never learned how to integrate the pinky while typing and I use my left thumb to hit the space bar and the right one to hit keys like control, alt gr or the arrow keys.

my issue with WPM tests is i can type words as i think them with great speed and accuracy,
but when i take typing tests (having to read and then type) i can’t score higher than 70 WPM though i know i type slower during. :confused:

Somehow I manage to get 60 WPM with just my left index and my right middle and index.

Completely self-taught.

Back in my day it was coolmaths.

I too learned to type at the virtual tutoring of Mavis Beacon on my Apple II.

I love this video by LGR for anyone curious on the history and the face on the box.