How do you deploy your applications?

Hello L1T,

Recently I have acquired a set of projects that are quickly becoming a chore to handle. Don’t get me wrong, I still love what I do, and in a different world, I’d do it for free.

However, when I was assigned one task, it was easy enough to git commit, git push, ssh into prod, git clone, restart node service.

With three projects, slightly different stacks between each one, I’m looking at getting a more efficient process. At my old gig, we had Jenkins, but that seems overly complex with what I have on my plate, and I’m not sure I want to go through the process of setting up a 7 course meal when some chips and dip are all I need, uknowwhatumsayin?

I’ve also considered Heroku, but the pricing of Heroku looks like it can get out of hand, depending on traffic and scaling.

Is it worth building Jenkins from the ground up, or pulling the Blue Ocean container? I would still need to learn the Jenkinsfile syntax, which would add time to the process. Heroku CLI seems incredibly simple, and something I’m partially familiar with, and it integrates with Git.

What are some alternatives out there that I may have overlooked? How do you deploy your code into production?

Heroku with webhooks to my github repo. At least that’s what I’d reccomend.

Theres also Azure, or Openstack.

PaaS are kinda expensive but well worth it.

Example:

Live Demo:

Still WIP though => https://raptr-project.herokuapp.com/

1 Like

How’s the cost, if you don’t mind my asking?

Azure and Openstack are incredibly complex, at least what I’ve experienced glossing over the information.

Thank you for the feedback! I will double up on digging into Heroku. I did their Node and Python tutorials. I appreciated the checklist style and got up to speed rather quickly I think.

OH, also, if you guys could let me know if you develop 100% Linux, or a hybrid. I’m about 70% Linux and 30% Windows, so I’ll need something that can possibly integrate with both.

While it may seem expensive, its actually cheaper than if you had to roll your own server with hardware. Unless the application needs to be run locally (LAN/dark), it makes so much more sense to run it on a PaaS.

Because, you only need to focus on the application, you don’t need to worry about physical network security, is the system patched, how will upgrades to the hardware be covered, etc. You only need to worry about one thing; development. So tell it to management that where you save is not having to hire a separate dev ops, network engineer, network security; and the like people.

1 Like

Man, that’s awesome. Appreciate your insight into that.

Also, no management. Technically I guess one guy is the manager, but there are only three of us lol :wink:

Thanks again. Decision seems easy when you put it all out like that.

Yeah, PaaS’s are awesome.