How do you brick a laptop on purpose?

remove the laptops heatsink and apply toothpaste in between (inspired by everyone in kentucky and india)

remove the laptops heatsink and apply toothpaste in between (inspired by everyone in kentucky and india)

yo mama so ugly you bricked your laptop when you browsed to her facebook

There are some people that have a natural talent for breaking technology by being in a close proximity to it.

I have that opposite effect. That's why I work in IT

I suppose you have the same kind of request as me:
"hey, my thing doesn't work, see, when I do this, this and this it .... works, sorry for bothering"  

get a 12 Volt car battery with wires, open the laptop and just hit some random parts with the + and - end of the battery. 

Or..[BULLSHIT ALERT DEFCON 5] fry it with 110 or 220 Volts or solder some stuff of the pcb.

Gosh some of you guys just make me sick. really! Ok for one this kid is 16. what EVER the issue is as stated it doesnt matter, the fact is we dont know the real story. Two, your parents dont want you to buy a new laptop with your own money? really guys? kid grow some balls, hide your money and then just go buy a new machine. And 3, even though I really do like the idea of pouring soda on a computer to kill it (and thats really a good idea) for the rest of you are you guys really not thinking? If you unplug or hammer the hard drive any computer repair person can be like "oh just the hard drive is broken" replace super cheep load new OS,Or "oh the key board got unplugged I Plugged it back in or replaced it for 15$ for a new laptop key board from newegg. 

Really here guys he is 16, teach this kid the value of making his own dolla dolla bill yo. tell him to grow a pair and buy what he wants with his own cash. also teach him how to get what he wants with his own determination and not by crying and smashing till mommy and daddy buys new. This is not how the world works! 

Oh buy the way. 1 Magnet from anything. Open up the computer. rub the magnet all over everything. screen too. this will shut down everything for sure. You guys got really start thinking about what really works in a non repairable way. hammer to one part. replace. unplug something, plug it back in. Soda and magnet. done for EVER!

But really though, get a job 

Or what Lars just said above mine. LOL thats good too! 

Maybe you could disable the fans in the BIOS and run Prime95 for a few hours?

Or you could start to update the bios and then take out the battery.

You guys are all fucking morons. Bricking implies leaving it completely inoperable without damaging internal parts... Thus you need to flash the bios on the mainboard. i believe a virus called CIH from the 90's would do this

Why damage it beyond repair.

simply take it apart, and desolderone of the main filter capacitors. it will still power on, but it will be too unstable to even get to the bios (if the frequency of the switching regulator is making its way into the rest of the system.

you can then fix it simply by soldering it back in.

Another option is to look at what types of thermal sensors that is is using, an analog CMOS temperature sensor, then simply pull up the data sheet for it and figure out what voltage it sends out at its max temperature, and then pull that pin to a rail that is providing that voltage. so that the laptop will thing that is it at like 150C at all  times and thus cause a thermal shutdown as soon as possible.

many analog cmos thermal sensors will output a lower voltage as the temperature increases, in which case, getting the output pin down to around .2 volts or so, will cause a thermal shutdown within seconds of the laptop turning on.

other than that, you can jump a few bypass caps leading to the CPU, and just make it ridiculously unstable, though it is risky since those capacitors are tiny and thus harder to solder a wire to.

If you spot any easy to get to op-amps, then see if you can pull one of the inputs to ground.

Al in all, there is no need to do permanent damage to the laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrnWFAx5vJg

CIH is how you do it.

LMAO! Oh man, I remember when my mom tried to restrict me to play my PS1 to just weekends as a kid.....that lasted all of 3 weeks.

Not asian btw lol

yep. most of the time all the user has to do is TRY AGAIN. put people panic at the first sign of something wrong and call for support.

Umm, maybe do some physical damage, like smash his hdd and if your parents are no techies they wont know how to fix that

Install any CLI based linux distro that will be sure to confuse his parents.  Then have him scrap it to you and you can reload whatever you want, and sell it.

Flash the bios and pull the battery out while flashing. That should do the job!

XD Facts

Thread closed as it was outside the guidelines for thread revival. Please PM me or another moderator if you feel the thread was closed in error. See the FAQ for more information.

Feel free to create a new thread if you wish to continue this thread’s conversation.