How Do You Backup Your Data?

3-2-1 is a common practice for making sure data is safe but how do YOU backup your data?

Tell us the medium you use, the frequency of your backups and how often you access it. Most importantly include any horror stories of loosing data to the sands of time and why it happened.

1 Like

Losing data horror story was storing things on external hard drives many years ago.

My backups are only ā€œlocalā€ on a DAS in RAID 1 because 1) I donā€™t trust any cloud/server providers and canā€™t afford it anyway 2) have no friends with a server.

1 Like

Allow me to be an example of what not to do.

I have taken maybe 3 intentional backups in my life, and not in any kind of organized or deliberate system. They were prep for transitioning PCs or troubleshooting drives that might involve reformating. Every other ā€œbackupā€ I might have is ā€œaccidentalā€ in that it just resulted from copying stuff for the sake of reorganizing or moving between drives/machines, and then not cleaning up after.

I was always generally aware of the fact drives can fail, but had a young naivety of ā€œitā€™s so rare it wonā€™t happen to meā€. I havenā€™t lost anything actually important, mostly because I donā€™t really have anything thatā€™s truly ā€œimportantā€. But I did finally have an external HD fail, losing a bunch of accumulated media. Some of it at least a little sentimental, but a lot of it just accumulated random junk (old movie rips, pictures and video clips saved from the internet, etc). Right now I have my boot NVME showing signs of damage and Iā€™m languishing in dealing with it, though I am at least formulating a plan to be better, if not good.

Oh also ā€œlostā€ a drive due to encrypting it and forgetting the password due to setting it to auto-unlock on my own PC, then upgrading later. I still have the hardware for the old build, so in theory getting it back is a matter of rebuilding and hoping the boot drive (that I plugged into the new machine as a secondary drive) wasnā€™t messed up in some way that the encryption software doesnā€™t recognize it. I tried to be ā€œcleverā€ with the password hint and have an actually strong password (also a practice I donā€™t really follow). Set the hit to a super obscure phrase/set of words that I thought ā€œthis will definitely jog my memory when I read it and Iā€™ll remember exactly the creative PW Iā€™m using hereā€ and well, that didnā€™t work. I know generally whatā€™s in the password, but canā€™t get the exact permutation right.

2 Likes

yeah, soo.

2 copies, and an ancient ā€˜backupā€™ ā€˜offsiteā€™ (read as in a detached garage 17 foot from the house)

data hoarding is expensive.

my first ā€˜backupā€™ was a USB HDD, that i dropped exactly after making my first backup. that caused a downward spiral of my sanity, and now i have a rack, ZFS in mirrors, and some what of a backup.

I have my NAS as a backup target running automatically every Saturday.
I also have HDDs on the shelf and at my parents place.

That is it.

All data except /tmp and cache is in LVM RAID1 or BTRFS RAID1

Weekly: Automatic Cron snapshot of all my btrfs filesystems copied to an external HDD
Every 1-2 months: Sync those btrfs snapshots to an external HDD I keep at work, and rsync non-btrfs filesystems

Whatever drive has my financial data on it is always the drive to fail. Three times! Only data I lost was cache data, the rest always restored from RAID1 or btrfs snapshots easily

Iā€™m currently reorganizing my setup and plan to upload a small <2GB set of extra-critical data to a friend sever in another state

Some of my stuff is mirrored or parity, but for actual backup I just use BackBlaze. Cheap and unlimited.
I lost a drive one time since I started backing up, it was a TB or two. Backblaze let me get a portable hard drive with my encrypted data on it, copy it off to my own drive and send the portable one back to them. No charge.
I currently store around 300TB or so on my Backblaze account, costs $9 a month for that much and I can still add however much more that I want.

Theoretically, you could tape up a Buy a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W ā€“ Raspberry Pi to an 18T WD elements drive, throw Tailscale on there and thereā€™s a server for your friend

3 Likes

Many moons ago I would just transfer my files from one machine to the next (Windows) and leave it at that. Then I had files corrupted, that I really wanted to remain intactā€¦so naturally I waited 15 years before doing something about it!

I used to have 2 Windows machines, one was used for work/play and the other was just used to store old or big files. When I ran out of space, Iā€™d buy another hard drive, but at least it was always backed up with BackBlaze or Iā€™d periodically make DVD drive backups. It didnā€™t deal with the issue of silent corruption though :roll_eyes:

Fast forward to the last 3-4 years and with the help of L1 and Tom of Lawrence Systems, Iā€™ve upped my data storage game.

I now have:

• 24/7 TrueNAS Server - contains hot files that change often (uses SyncThing & BackBlaze B2)
  • Cold Storage Server 1 - contains static files that change rarely and entertainment files (Films, etc.)
  • Cold Storage Server 2 - is a backup target for Server 1 and the 24/7 TrueNAS Server
  • Cold Storage Server 3 - is a backup target for Server 1
  • Cold Storage Server 4 - is a backup target for Server 24/7 TrueNAS Server
  • Cold Storage Server 5 - is a backup target for Server 24/7 TrueNAS Server

This is overkill, although Servers 4 & 5 are stored in a separate building on the same site, I do this because Iā€™m not 100% competent. As Iā€™m not in the industry and therefore donā€™t do this for a living, I like to have redundancy against myself! :laughing:

All cold storage is turned on every 2-3 weeks and I run a scrub. By not leaving all the cold storage on 24/7, I save myself enough money to buy a decent graphics card every year (of course I donā€™t!), because energy prices. :roll_eyes:

I fell into having a data storage interest sort of at the worst time. SMR drives were suddenly a thing, and a bad thing at that. FreeNAS changed to TrueNAS and world energy prices suddenly ramped up (per KWh prices tripled).

I mainly use 4TB & 6TB Ironwolf or 14TB Toshiba CMR drives.

2 Likes

I was trained with daily backups kept for a week, weeklies kept for a month, monthlies for a year, and yearly backups kept indefinitely. The common 3-2-1 advice has always seemed tragically inadequate to me, and the lack of cheap backup media its only justification.

However, these days using btrfs I have monthly backups going back to 2017, and weeklies for nearly 3 years, on a few cheapish hard drives. This is because using btrfs incremental send/receive, the snapshot history is preserved on the backup volume. The weekly backups go to a rotating set of drives, and ideally these get rotated off site (er, thatā€™s from home to a family memberā€™s place). When a backup volume fills up, I try to buy a new one, but sometimes Iā€™ve had to prune old snapshots.

As well, thereā€™s hourly automatic snapshots and daily-ish send/receive to an internal hard drive.

This has needed a bit of curation of the data, mostly putting caches, downloads, and scratch data into separate subvolumes. The browser caches were the worst, gigabytes of rapidly churning data.

I have the Veeam community server running on my central media PC with agents deployed to the machines I care about. That is then offloaded Backblaze for my 3-2-1.

My retention is pretty narrow since we donā€™t have a lot of data that changes very often. Everything we have on our PCs today is what we need tomorrow. I just havenā€™t run into a scenario where I need to restore past 60 days ago.

I mostly go the other direction, and try to exist ephemerally.

Having a backup is an exception rather than a rule for me.

Yeah, every now and again I lose stuff. But to me everything I have, everything I am, is temporary. Not even a spec of dust in a geologic timeline.

But as far as the exceptions where I have a backup goes, it amounts to a few pieces of removable flash media and optical discs.

Honestly every says this but almost no one does it. I have never actually seen anyone use 2 medias. This seems to me like advice from when tape made more sense. Now days I mostly see people just using two servers, or a server that is cloud backed up, and I wouldnā€™t consider the cloud a separate media. Since it just ends up on HDDs anyways.

1 Like

I used to do a physical backups manually (connecting disks into PC and copying data), but now I have a dedicated HW for making physical copies of my disks (mostly SSDs):
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/149881/19453?u=xnd

Steps:

• only make sure that source disk I will put to slot A and destination disk to slot B.
  • push clone button

Not a bad idea, just not currently feasible.

Only time ive ever lost data at work was doing a large bacup
Power surge wiped out the pc, hdd and backup drive and the docking station.
They did not have a surge supressor/ ups.
( cheap boss):joy:

1 Like

There have been two big events in my life that have led me to where I am regarding computing, security, and data integrity. The first was the time my Dad, a practicing Psychiatrist, got a virus on his windows PC that started emailing out random snippets of random files, some of which were patient notes and files. If youā€™re not aware of the consequences of HIPAA violations, go look it up. That was when he, and I, started taking data security seriously. The second was when I, an ignorant Apple user thought that having stuff on a Time Machine backup meant it was safe forever. I was wrong and I lost a lot of important memories when that drive died. Yes, I was able to recover most, but at a cost.

Now, I am an advocate for ZFS, even on desktop systems, and making an OS that runs on ZFS and is easy enough for my now elderly parents to use.

My backups are a brand spanking new HL15 that runs TrueNAS Scale and that backs up to Backblaze B2. My Brother is still soldiering on with a TrueNAS Mini XL and we share space on each others NAS for yet another backup location.

I hope that is enough, barring nuclear war or a giant asteroid hit.

After a forest fire almost took out my house, I got even more serious about backups, especially off-site.

I use btrfs, so I use btrbk to create daily snapshots of root and home and send/receive those to a second internal drive as backups. I also run restic to back up my most important files to Backblaze B2. Then finally, I occasionally use CloneZilla to create a full image of my drives and put them on a USB drive I keep at work. At some point I suspect Iā€™ll add a NAS to the picture.

About 5 years after I started my photography business (many thousands of photographs in my catalogue) the data drive failed in my Dell workstation. No problem, installed a new data drive in the workstation and tried a restore from the daily backup to my Drobo. Ugh, the Drobo failed, literally died! Get the offsite monthly backup hard drives. First drive failed whilst restoring. Iā€™m now down to one copy of 5 years worth of work. Luckily that drive held for a restore.

Iā€™m now using a Synology NAS (RAID 1) backed up to their cloud backup service, and have two monthly backup drives stored in the home office at the far end of our garden.

The Synology has been solid, and Iā€™ve done a few test restores from it, although I donā€™t do regular restore testing :frowning:

I keep an eye on Synology to ensure that the quality of their products and services remains high. If it drops I would change, but in ten years and a few different Synology NAS they have been v reliable.

It probably also worth saying, I no longer have that business, and the above backup is for personal data and the photography assets from that business. So the backup restore requirement is quite light.

I store things on mirrors on the main system, for some redundancy.

Periodically (usually 3 times a year), I compress everything important and save it to a new folder in an external HDD. If the remaining space is too small, I buy a new one and keep the old ones.

Thinking about adding a ā€˜NASā€™ to this equation, which in itself wonā€™t be a backup, but will be another location the data exists on. (Though ZFS+no ECC fears are real/ price for alder lake ECC systems is high.)