How do know which KVMs work with Ubuntu Linux

Hey guys,
I was looking at purchasing one of the KVMs, but my work laptop for my new job runs linux. I was advised by someone on the team that they havent been able to get most docking stations to work with their laptop that runs linux and that there’s only one dock they’ve found that works. Is there anything specific i need to look for in terms of hardware/features that will ensure my laptop will work with it? I was also looking at the TESmart Triple Monitor Dual Computer KVM. They claim the following:

Support Unix/Windows/ Debian/ Ubuntu/Fedora/ MacOS X/ Raspbian/ Ubuntu for Raspberry Pi and other Linux-based systems ideal for home, office, or education scenarios.

But i have no idea if i can actually trust it. Could anyone with more experience/knowledge help me navigate what is best to do here?

Thanks!

First docks and kvms are a little different. Most KVMs use HDMI/DisplayPort inputs and simple USB passthrough, so they should have 100% compatibility with every modern OS out there. Ignoring that I hear Level1Techs sells a KVM, which better work with Linux given their content.

USB/Thunderbolt docks is a weird one. Simple docks often simple USB hubs, and will usually work 100% on Linux. Some more expensive ones use DP-ALT mode which work, or DisplayLink which can be made to work. Beyond that you have Thunderbolt docks which often work, but can be a bit touchy depending on the brand. (Insert rant about Apple and Thunderbolt Display Chaining here). Depends a lot on the Dock. For most docks someone on the internet has usually tested it with Linux.

Thank you for that info. I definitely want to get a LV1 Tech KVM if i can help it. However, none of the configurations i like seem to be in stock. I will try to wait it out for now because i’m worried about buying from some random brand online.

Dell TB Docks have a random bug that drops the 3rd monitor doesn’t matter the OS(they’re up to revision A04 if I recall–Spiceworks forum is a good source on troubleshooting), use a KVM and you might get stuck on a blank screen since the monitor detection seems to rely upon EDID. Docks are tricky, some makers tie 4K at 60Hz to DP and HDMI drops to 30 Hz in a dual or triple monitor setup. If you rely upon charging pass thru, most USB-C docks drop to 85W so if your laptop requires a full 100-150W it’ll be a hard pass.

KVMs of major brands have their unique bugs, multi system KVMs depend upon dGPUs for smooth usage and IGPs you’ll get random resolution resets if the system had gone to sleep/hibernate(Wake On LAN).