How do I setup a DNS server?

I am attempting to setup my DNS service config. I purchased a domain name from namecheap.com and installed ajenti and ajenti V to help manage my server Running Ubuntu 14.04 minimal 64bit. Now I am attempting to configure the DNS server. Currently, my domain name is pointing to the FQDNs nameserver. How should I configure my DNS? Since my server is not hosted at namecheap and on a completely different server and static IP address, how do I go about pointing my domain name to my server?

I recently implemented a virtual private network and an internal dns, web and samba server behind the VPN. I had never set up a DNS server before I used this guide it was a great resource for setting up my DNS, I tried a few others and found this one to work best for me. I was also using ubuntu 14.04.1 64-bit server edition.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/330148/how-do-i-do-a-complete-bind9-dns-server-configuration-with-a-hostname

Just make sure you read it thoroughly missing just one instruction can cause the DNS server fail to start.

Hi Baron. Thanks for the article. :)