How do I patch panel

Howdy ya’ll,

Next year the missus and I are building a new house. Obviously I’m going to run Cat 6a cables to every room. my network will be my modem, router, 16 port switch, patch panel.

My main question is about the patch panel. After watching this video https://youtu.be/TgvmM6R8rQc. The guy is talking about 568A and B. If i understand this correctly, the only difference is the order in which the wires are connected? I can see the different pattern. I will have to wire both sides to activate each port?

1 Like

568B is the common way of wiring but as long as you do both ends of the cable the same either will work. A vs B puts different pairs on different pins. Both were originally designed for compatbility with different legacy systems that aren’t much of a concern anymore.

2 Likes

So can I wire both sides 568B?

1 Like

Yes, that is the idea.

1 Like

Cool, I’m going to run at least 12 wires.

1 Like

Congrats on the house.

4 Likes

Type A is the standard here in OZ, i think from memory Tybe B is USA, as @freqlabs said as long as you stick to the same throughout it makes no difference.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.