How do I move Windows OS to a different drive

So I just installed my new M.2 SSD, now I have no idea how to correctly move my OS from my sata SSD to my M.2 SSD. Can someone help me out here please?

clone the drive

Can you link me to a good free cloning tool please, thanks

What we recommend is generally not the best option as there is a lot of good software that does the same job.

For now

What does this mean?

what is the sector size?
Is the disk you are cloning too a clean disk?

I read into it and the disk I am copying from is 512 and the disk I am copying to is 4096

It is a clean disk just installed it brand new, and set it up.

Does that mean I can’t copy it to that drive?

I believe what you’re trying to do is when you’re cloning a disk to another, you’re effectively cloning exactly everything, including the sector size information. And since the installed OS only has a 512k capable sector and you’re trying to clone it on a disk that is formatted at 4096k, it doesn’t sound compatible to me, so I think the best bet is to either format the M.2 drive to the exact size as the old drive or you will have to install the OS from the start on the M.2 SSD.

Preferably, I think 4096k is the best allocation unit size to go for, since this is what MS recommends, and as you may have files in varying sizes alot.

@op why not a fresh install? By doing a fresh install you avoid soooooo many potential problems.

2 Likes

Use macrium to create an image and put it on your desired drive. The free version will allow you to do this. It’s pretty straight forward just make a bootable with adequate storage.

1 Like

Already posted

Got this error

Probs just gonna do this when I get around to doing it now which will be in a while if I ever do get around to doing it lol

acronis is another option not sure if the free tier works with backups.

alternatively literally copying and pasting will work but there might be admin bullshit that stops you. plus it would take a lot longer.

Free tier only gives the option to create an image and restore images. Not live clone.

that’s certainly an option then as long as OP has the spare drive hardware necessary.

Damn I guess if I’m not in the ACC or lounge people forget who I am :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry, Lord Sir Senor gestapo Banks, do you have a spare drive that could be used to facilitate an image then image it upon bootup?

Lmao it was a joke, I put the winking tongue face so you’d know

Yes 500 GB and brand new, all set up too

What does that mean? I can build computers but that’s as techy as I get, dumb it down for me or explain it

So, you will have to make what’s called an acronis bootable. This can be done on one drive if you want just make two partitions the bootable part only needs to be like 1gb so use acronis software to make a bootable on that 1gb then boot into it at which point you can choose to make a backup of your current primary drive on the second partition. once you have that backup you can write it to your new drive. It’s pretty simple i think once you get going on it it will make sense the gui isn’t too bad.

Honestly I’m probably just going to try doing this

Wait I still have my windows 10 install disc thing, can I just use that?

for a fresh install? i mean, you can… it would probably be better to download an up to date ISO or updates will take forever.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10