How do I install FreeBSD 11.2 manually in a desktop PC (without bsd installer)

I have a supported intel 3rd gen processor and integrated graphics, 1 TB WD HDD with Windows 10 in UEFI-GPT mode. So, no full hard drive available for FreeBSD. I have created a 30GB root for FreeBSD. There are other data partitions also in the hard drive. So, my plan is to use either grub2 or rEFIt as bootloader and chainload FreeBSD in EFI mode. Please guide, if this is not the way.

I was searching forums and it seems FreeBSD can be installed manually by extracting the base and kernel tar balls and later creating the config files /etc/ . Is this a recommended method? I’m planning to use pkg (no ports) solely as it is a desktop without much optimization expected.

1 Like

I mean you could do this, but what would be the benefit? Are you going for a super minimal install? IIRC, the freebsd install was already fairly minimal

1 Like

If you use Grub the grub menu will show FreeBSD and Windows Boot Manager, allowing for dual booting.

1 Like

I’m hoping to use rEFInd as bootloader. Considering, there will be a Devuan Linux installation also (but on an SSD). This desktop has a 180GB SSD+ 2 TB HDD. Also, can you suggest if ZFS is fine for this system? I read ZFS takes a lot of RAM.

It’s been a while since i’ve done a FreeBSD install (rather than an upgrade), but from memory it asks you where you want to put the boot loader, or if you even want to install it?

Just run the regular installer, but the FreeBSB boot loader on the relevant partition (or even, don’t install the boot loader) and do whatever you like with the other OS?

You are correct that FreeBSD can be installed manually by un-tarring to a prepared filesystem, but as above, i’m not getting why you would want to do this - unless i am misunderstanding some requirement, you’re just making things more complicated than they need to be?

ZFS will be fine, just don’t turn on de-duplication and you’ll be fine.

ZFS can use whatever memory is available (as cache), but unless you turn on de-duplication the memory REQUIREMENTS are not severe these days.

If (and only if) you turn on de-duplication do memory requirements skyrocket. If you run de-duplication, ZFS needs to keep the de-duplication database in RAM for performance to not fall off a cliff. This is where the “1-2 GB per TB of storage” rule of thumb comes from. no de-dupe = no need for that amount of RAM.

1 Like