How do i disable the lighting on the 1080ti FE?

So, i bit the bullet. the game i'm excited for is coming out in august and a beta next week, so i ordered a new videocard, a 1080ti FE. Yeah, i know, FE? But i think i'll switch to a SFF case after i upgrade my CPU in a year or two, so a blower makes sense. Plus you know, if i want to ever implement a water cooling kit, most are going to be compatible with the FE.

So onto the question. There is ugly green lighting on the Founders Edition, i want to disable it. Right now i just have CAM and Nvidia drivers installed. Do i need to install other software? If i do I have to always keep it running in the background? What software should i use?

I had a similar problem with the lighting on my MSI 1070 (twin frozr cooler, so no FE). MSI has a utility that controls the lighting, but I don't like having unnecessary bloat on my system and there was no option to turn it off in Linux anyway because the stupid thing is Windows-only.

I ended up tracing the wires from the LED to the board, where I simply pulled the connector. The card has been working perfectly fine and in absolute darkness ever since.
Not sure how you'd do that with the FE, I assume you'll need to take the shroud off in order to find the wiring.

thanks for the link, but i don't think the technique works with this generation. I can't find the referenced LED Visualizer anywhere.

edit nm, was able to download and install it standalone.

Is there a way to get the guide link above to work on Fedora 25?

works on Ubuntu, I'm not sure about Fedora.

Thanks for the info, if It works on Ubuntu, I can't see why not with some tweaking it not working on Fedora. The reason I prefer Fedora over Ubuntu repositories are more up to date on Fedora than Ubuntu.

4 Likes