How do i connect my computer to the Domain Controller

I have a computer that i need to connect to the domain controller, it was connected at one point and still has an account cached but I cant get it to connect back. It’s connected to windows server and is able to lease an IP, the DHCP recognizes it as the correct computer but it cant access Active Directory, how would I go about reconnecting this computer to the AD?

1 Like

Have your tried clearing the cached account and reconnecting from a clean slate?

Windows 10?

1 Like

Logon local account
Remove computer from domain, by joining work-group
Restart Computer
Login local
Add Computer back to domain with domain admin account

2 Likes

yeah, I just tried but I don’t know the local administrator account password and neither does the previous IT person so I’ve just connected to the domain with my personal computer and I think I’m going to have to reinstall windows on that computer. I’ve checked my network shares and I think all I’m losing is the work I did to map the network in the last few days so no big loss.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, me and the previous IT personal dont have the local admin password for this pc so Im going to reinstall windows to give myself local admin credentials to this PC. I’ve just connected with my personal laptop to do my day-to-day for the now.

1 Like

If domain admin has Admin rights to the pc, change or add local admin a/c.
You should go to Control Panel> System>Advanced System Settings>Computer Name Tab>Rename> change > at bottom click member of Domain, enter domain and network admin credentials.

Sorry being salty here:

Reset the Administrator password or add administrator via Hiren’s BootCD, if you don’t know about it or how to get, reset your computer

This is basic stuff your IT admin should know, send them back to get his MS Cert renewed.

3 Likes

You can crack it with Kali linux

3 Likes

haha yeah, I just got out of those classes. I must have missed the class on using third party non microsoft approved software to bypass Microsoft security. Sounds like you went to the IT school of hardnox :smile:

But yeah, first day out of school and getting on the job experience their is a lot I still have to learn. I am the replacement IT admin and I’m still just working on learning the network.

1 Like

The big takeaway you should have from this whole experience is DOCUMENTATION!!!

Write shit down and have a recovery plan so that when somebody who is new shows up they can actually get stuff done instead of going through what you are dealing with.

One of my mentors that is half of his hrs he bills is just making good documentation and guides for his employers so that when he hands the reigns off to someone else it is smooth.

5 Likes

Yeah, im working on network maps, rewriting his old network paperwork and creating instructions for both my use and the use of future employees. Like when I got here this monday the network was down and I just had to guess what the network looked like while doing diagnostics (2 switches died the day before I started work) It was a fun time.

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but man, this shop is putting you through the ringer. Are you the sole IT/Sys. Admin? Even though you are new and this is some really good experience learning what not to do, I hope that they are paying you enough.

Also, as mentioned,

3 Likes

Via Powershell:

To register:

add-computer –domainname "YourDomainName"  -restart

To rejoin to domain

Test-ComputerSecureChannel -repair
4 Likes

Yeah, I’m the sole IT/SysAdmin. It’s my first job out of school and I don’t think anyone thought this would be a difficult job, but I kind of love that its a nightmare, its what I want. My networking and system admin classes were where I was weakest so I wanted a networking sys admin job to help me fix my weak link and in 1 week on the job I’m progressing and treading difficult waters.

I think the previous IT guy had a pretty relaxed tenure, and I just got here with a spell of bad luck, now that it’s all calmed down here, I’m just watching YouTube videos, doing documentation, and reacting to minor computer issues, which isn’t so bad.

2 Likes

Making a chaotic env stable shows you’re worth your salt.

3 Likes

Being a systems admin you have to be hacker first, by the book second then fill in the book.
I learned by breaking stuff and repairing it. Most stuff others broke.

Dude, if you got that job straight outta courses good job! Now the hard part begins, teaching people how to use the systems…

1 Like

None of my employers chose to accept that as a reason to give me a raise or a bonus. Even after multiple times of pulling them out of the hole for their mistakes and saving them millions of dollars. Eventually I learn that if they are not going to appreciate me and compensate me fairly at least to what the other worthless people on the team are making (I am consistently making less than my peers) then it is time to walk… I hate making lateral moves but that is the only way that I have been able to get closer to what I feel I am worth.

3 Likes

Almost everyone I have talked to in tech has had to change companies to get a raise.

3 Likes

I do hear that a lot. That does not ring true for most of my peers though. I was told that this would be a thing while I was in college.

1 Like

What do you do?

The only person who it wasn’t true for was my uncle but he was the senior manager for a large insurance companies IT department. The only reason he didn’t become the CTO was because he didn’t have a masters and he told them to pound sand after almost 20 years with them. Kinda ridiculous that you would rather hire outside the company because of a stupid piece of paper.

1 Like

Been there.

I am currently a General IT/System Administrator. I have worked from basic help desk to developer and most things in between. Specifically, I tend to be the fixer that comes into a program or contract and fix the issues that are keeping the project/program from being successful. I create the new SOPs, and then train the maintainers on how to use the thing and then turn it over to them so that I can move onto the next problem area.

1 Like