How bad is DX11 on RDNA2 on slower CPUs?

There’s been some FUD going around about if you absolutely need Ryzen 5000 or Intel 10th gen with RDNA2 or your DX11 CPU bound performance is going to be terrible.

However, I think I’m in a unique position where I’m gonna get a 9900K and OC it to 5Ghz all core, which is similar to a 10700K.

Should I be concerned at all? I’m going to be using SteamVR which is pretty much exclusively DX11 right now.

The info is kind of conflicting with info that AMD uses hardware GPU scheduling already, and Nvidia relies on the CPU to do GPU scheduling… but if this was the case, then a slower CPU would not see a major decline in DX11 performance, rather the opposite…

Well that depends on whether the GPU scheduling is the actual bottleneck in this instance or if it is something like being fed with geometry effectively, or game logic requiring more Cpu or whatever.

I’m running a 6900XT with a 2700X and whilst I’m sure my frame rates aren’t as high as they could be on CPU bound apps, I’m happy with the performance for now as I play mostly at higher resolutions anyhow.

I haven’t had any real issues to complain about with VR, other than AMD breaking the fucking Oculus tethering seemingly every couple of months, and if you have 10 bit colour turned on in the driver (which my monitor supports) it causes black screen/flickering when you move the mouse in VR virtual desktop.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.