How are the mini Pc dell optiplex as 24/7 servers

Hi, I am thinking of buying a second hand dell optiplex 7040 with i5 8th gen and using it as a 24/7 server running various services, mainly scrapping web pages and some web/API servers.

My needs here, are good networking capabilities and enough processing power to parse html documents. I used to do this using a raspberry PI but the limited memory was causing me issues that defy the purpose of “run it leave it” aspect i am looking to achieve.

These mini systems seem very unintrusive and rather cheap (not by much tbh, getting a broken screen laptop seems a cheaper choice tbh, yet…), So i want to know if they can run 24/7 while keeping responsiveness and without crashing on me randomly.

I will be running the most barebone version of linux, with intent of ssh access only and the graphical output for occasional debugging.

If someone has any experience with these systems, i would love to hear from you

Thanks in advance

1 Like

I hvae hooked a gpu dock to one and rendered 4k video on it and it was 5k based not 8k. You’ll be fine lol

Get one with na actual desktop chip tho

Yep, perfectly fine. Go for it

Plenty of people do this without issue

I have a Dell Precision 3430 SFF with an i5-8500. If you can find a Precision for slightly more than the Optiplex I would go for that as they are generally more robust with better expansion options and less proprietary connectors. LGA 1151 is a good platform with lots of viable CPU choices, I would look for a -T processor for a home server (8500T would be perfect) but even the regular i5 systems should idle under 20W. I’m looking to go the opposite and upgrade mine to a i7-9700 at some point.

There is also a lot of useful literature on most Dell products especially the Precision line, try to google search for a full service manual for whatever your looking at. Check the motherboard section for the location of connectors, memory and storage expansion, PCIe and USB connectors, etc.

1 Like

Honestly DELL’s business-y line up is alright, their gaming Alienware stuff is utter trash though. Haven’t tried new improve Alienware though, they switched to a better airflow design. Be aware of their proprietary power supply connector.

1 Like

Patrick at STH did a ton of reviews on systems just like this. Definitely worth checking out if you’re thinking about picking one up.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.