How are Asus Gaming laptops?

I am planning to buy an Asus gaming laptop, just wanted to ask if they’re good (service, durability) if anyone of you is using them?

Here’s the one I am planning to buy but if you have any suggestion with a similar laptop, your replies are welcome - Asus ROG Strix G Core i7 9th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/256 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650) G531GT-AL030T Gaming Laptop (15.6 inch, Black, 2.4 kg)

PS - Not building a PC because I will stay in a hostel room from next year.

I’ve had a few Asus gaming laptops over the last several years and they’ve been good to me. I haven’t had to deal with customer service because I haven’t had one break. Usually just end up selling them to fund other projects.

1 Like

Hardware wise they’re fine. Asus does a pretty good job of tuning the thermals and performance.

The software that is needed/required to utilize that tuning is another issue altogether.

If you ever have to deal with Asus support be prepared to be disappointed.

My last RMA, resulted in 4 round trips to the service department, and no laptop from Jan - June.

1 Like

Thank you @aLilBabyOtter and @n3tizen for your feedback !

That sucks! What went wrong though?

I’ll try to be succinct as this can really get me rambling.

Hardware-wise, the GPU was bad which necessitated a mobo replacement.

Software-wise, and this is where I will try and be brief, with the newer laptops using DCH drivers and UWP apps things get interesting especially for the Asus software. Armoury Crate is still in a Beta state more than a year later and this causes issues. The Feature set your laptop is sold with has caveats buried in the warranty small print, those caveats cancel themselves out allowing Asus to not be responsible for, well, anything on the software; they claim in the small print the software is sold “AS IS” and “Subject to Change”. This means, Asus can remove some of the features they marketed and sold the laptop as having, yet not tell any of the customers or vendors.

The rest of the software package can bring such joys as breaking all of time; Aura is the best for this. The Sonic Studio software has gotten better.

Support has no idea about the software, and will give confusing and contradictory statements.

The Service center was by far the most disappointing in the entire experience. The first round trip was fast 2.5 weeks; they claimed the laptop had power issues - so they re-installed windows and sent it back. The 2nd round trip took 8-9 weeks to replace a mother board. The 3rd is where the support and software non-communication from software dev/corporate and support became evident and I was out my laptop for another 3 weeks as Support was saying one thing and service was basically just re-installing windows, with no ability or knowledge to diagnose their own software. The 4th round trip was where I wanted a replacement and demanded that i speak with someone at the C level as this was getting ridiculous, they couldn’t answer my questions and were expecting me to do work that their QA dev team should have done by this point.

As I mentioned this gets me rambling.

1 Like

This is really annoying, not how they’re supposed to work. I’ve also seen many complaints on their forums regarding how a keyboard suddenly stops working and asus has no idea what to do, someone installs a firmware from outside which fixes it for 15 days etc etc. They seem to have messed up with their software.

Thanks again you for your explanation, I’ve noted these points.

These laptops aren’t just great for gaming, but for everyday work as well. The best gaming laptop of 2022 is the Asus ROG Zephyrus G15. It can handle the most demanding games on the market today and also makes a great daily driver.

Here are some of the best ASUS gaming laptops:

1. ASUS TUF Gaming. Full Specs. …
  2. ASUS Zephyrus G14. Full Specs. …
  3. ASUS Vivobook Pro 14 OLED. Full Specs. …
  4. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15. Full Specs. …
  5. ASUS TUF DASH F15. Full Specs. …
  6. ASUS ROG Flow X13. Full Specs.

I personally good gaming experience with the Asus laptop.

OK that’s right thank you