Hot laptop

Hello!
Could you please tell me what you use to prevent your laptop from overheating? Are there any special stands or other options you would recommend? Lately, my laptop has been getting very hot and I would be grateful for your help!

Is it an older build laptop? Any dusting / servicing been done?

1 Like

What @GoldenAngel1997 is telling you is get your laptop disassembled by you (or someone else that is knowledgable/reliable) and clean out the dust that has built out inside.

Bonus if you could perform a repaste, especially if your laptop has been around for more than 5 years. That would involve deeper component disassembly with a non-zero chance of doing further damage to your laptop. If you buy a thermal paste from a reputable brand, you could potentially boost the performance beyond your original/baseline.

Other alternatives would be to use:

• thermal pad (that wont shrink and need replacing over time)
  • liquid metal - this needs some sealant because a single leak can do catastropic damage but by taking this risk, you will improve the cooling performance of your laptop way beyond its original capabilities. If you have a 10 year old spare laptop, you can practice this on and have some fun.
1 Like

Laptop cooling pads can help, but you need one with a fan that has omph, also try to have the air go in not directly above the fan. But above the CPU itself

Maybe undervolting?

It solved my laptop’s overheating issue.

3 Likes

depends on the laptop.
I’ve used one of these to cool my gaming laptop that I actually got higher overclocks while using it. (you need a side exhaust though

But if it’s overheating, definitely pop it open and blow out any dust buildup in the heatsink fins and fans

A good repaste will also help if it’s an older laptop.

Other than that, a traditional laptop cooling pad (if you have a bottom intake) helps.

That’s all I can really say. Most laptops don’t have an option to undervolt.

2 Likes

may need more info, old/superold/new laptop? What kind of laptop - exact model?

Other than that, as other suggested, keep it clean or try to get laptop cooling thing with a good fan. Some have fans basically just for decoration, cuz they dont really push any air noticable, so you gotta find a good one. Or try the CPU undervolt, if you’re more advanced user or check bios, if it has “quiet mode” enabled or not

I recently got this for my laptop, it doesnt push too much air, you can get only so far with these low voltage USB fans… but you can move them around to position them where needed

(if the link loads in CZ, there is a language switch on top right)

https://www.alza.cz/EN/orico-na15-sv-15-d6158437.htm

I think you mean side exhaust, but either way I want one now.

The blower blows air in faster than the internal fan. so it’s intake.

When I had that hooked up to my MSI Stealth, I got better OC and lower temps. it was loud, but I wore over ear headphones so it didnt matter.

EDIT: I just realized. the one I linked is exhaust. The one I had was intake.

1 Like

The laptop is about five years old. Perhaps you are right and there is indeed dust accumulated there. I haven’t cleaned it yet. I can’t do it myself, so I’ll contact the service. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help!

Do try to look if there are disassembly videos on youtube. The bottom panel shouldnt be too hard to disassemble.

I haven’t done this before, but I will look for a video.
Why not give it a try! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Lesson for next time, stop buying cheap consumer models that and are poorly designed because of cost.

1 Like

What @diizzy trying to say (poorly) is that next time maybe consider a more no-nonsense (but more expensive) models like the Thinkbook line from Lenovo and Expertbook line from Asus.

Since IT personel are usually the one fixing these kinds of laptops, it is easier to disassemble.

Spare parts also are frequently stocked in service centers and replacement parts are not too hard to find should you choose a third party replacement. Products are supported for longer about 10-15 years vs the 5 year availability of spare parts for consumer price.

Except that you’re missing the point somewhat… :wink:

On business segment laptops more money is spent on materials and R&D so the final product actually behaves as expected.

Unless (which I doubt is the case) thermal paste has turned into dust or a fan has died there’s very little to do except for lowering power consumption which means downclocking and/or limiting usage of hardware (discrete video card etc)) to “fix” the issue.

My laptop is over 5 years old, and overheats

I suspect the heatpipe from the CPU to the fan has failed, but can’t really chuck much money at it.

So I down clocked the CPU, and manually set the fan to work harder.

The fan was not settable, in the UEFI nor 'buntu itself, so I had so get an app off github…

This

Combined with a fan or two underneath…

I have a hot work laptop that is company managed and therefore I can do little to manage clocks/performance/etc. I keep it dusted and help it with external push/pull fans.

Either video reels or how-to-do’s instructions are a thing
Some will be to the tee a specific laptop, but the premise still stands
As long screws are visible, you’d have a good starting point, to exposing its underbelly*
[mark out a piece of paper and stand the screws upright, to their equivalent spot]

I have my work laptop propped up on random dead hardware to give it more breathing space than 2.5mm.

Not sure what it does for temperatures, fan wise, it quiets down a lot with a 20mm gap instead of the “factory breathing room”.

Could probably 3D-Print or make something from wood or sheet metal in order not to have dead hardware cluttering up your desk.