Hosting Behind CGNAT with an OpenWRT LXC Forbidden Router, a WireGuard VPS, and PBR Split Tunneling

Inspired by you guys, I decided to replace my old router with a single box solution that’s flexible, upgradable, and efficient. Emphasis on “single box”. OPN/PFsense is supposedly lacking in wifi support compared to OpenWRT.

OpenWRT “Forbidden Router” in a Container in Proxmox.

Furthermore, I was looking for a more flexible solution for bypassing CGNAT on my network. The IPv4 shortage crisis has nearly ruined the joy of simply self hosting games and services for so many of us. I decided to tackle the tunnel entirely on my router and use it to control what is and isn’t redirected through my “roll your own” VPN.

Hosting Behind CGNAT with a WireGuard VPS and PBR Split Tunneling on an OpenWRT Router.

I struggled for a months with these projects, tripping on unintuitive obstacles, and following breadcrumbs of incomplete or overly technical tutorials and forum threads. I felt obligated to share how I got them working while sacrificing brevity for clear explanations.

I’m sorry for linking to other places rather than posting the full tutorials here, but I don’t want to have to edit tutorials in multiple locations and I wanted to put them where people are most likely to look for help with each problem (the Proxmox and OpenWRT forums respectively)…. though I’m learning that some places don’t let you go back and edit old posts after a period of time, so I might have to post them here eventually anyway if they become outdated.

Reserved in case I do post more proper info in this thread.