Host keeps trying to start but has event viewer errors 1000 and 1005

Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro 20H2, have everything setup for passthrough (creating this topic on it now) and it works great. Decent game performance for an old Z97 i7-4790k with a RX 580 all running on a new install of Pop!_OS 20.10.

After installing all of the Windows drivers I installed the Looking Glass service and noticed that it was reloading, not a service restart, a few times a second creating dozens of tray icons. It doesn’t even get to the point where it can write to the log. I do see errors 1000 and 10005 in the event log. I’ve tried stable B2, bleeding edge, and some of the release candidates and I see the same behavior.

I also did a Windows reset figuring maybe some of the software I installed disagreed with it but I get the same behavior again on a clean install.

Windows events:

Secure boot disabled
IVSHMEM driver 100.76.104.16100

Virsh XML, LG, and other bits about the KVM host:

1 Like

Please post the LG host application log (not the Windows log). You can find the log location by right-clicking the LG tray icon. It’s usually in C:\Windows\TEMP\looking-glass-host.txt if you installed it as a service.

It doesn’t run long enough, or at all, to create one. I don’t think I was very clear on that.

is there a looking-glass-host-service.txt in the same directory? Also, do you run any AV on Windows? Try to whitelist looking-glass-host.exe from any AV service (including Windows native one)

Nope. Nothing in C:\Program Files\Looking Glass (host) or in %temp%. There are 100s of app crash Windows Error Report things that I can’t get into.

Does it whether defender is on or off, also excluded the file and folder just to see.
I haven’t even found anything of value for the same generic event id issues.

If you installed this as a service the logs are NOT in %temp%. They are in C:\Windows\TEMP

Huh, didn’t see that because Windows has weird permissions. I did find it there but it does not seem to be very helpful, to me anyway. It has these on loop and nothing else:

Terminating the host application
Host application terminated
Finished
Startup
Finished
Startup
Failed to terminate the host application
Finished
Startup
Finished
Startup
Finished

And thanks for playing along with me here.

I was able to get it to work by changing the cpu model to match my cpu “Haswell-noTSX” as it was previously set to the standard qemu64. That was it really.
Before doing that I created a new VM on its own ssd with all virtio drivers and I had the same loop. Maybe it was just anything other than qemu64 cpu model, I don’t know. But that is what is working so I’m going to stick with it.
Thanks @Netboy3 for looking into it.

Hello there, first time here.

I’m having the exact same issue on my setup. Service starts, stops and is restarted. Same errors, same everything, but changing my CPU config did not help (I tried a few different ones, all to no avail).
According to the test utility included with the IVSHMEM drivers, my shared memory device is functioning properly, but apparently looking glass can’t access it for some reason.

Maybe someone has another idea,
Thanks in advance.

Please check the host log:

C:\Windows\Temp\looking-glass-host.log

Hi,

I already contacted you on GitHub regarding this issue. I will add some more information there.